Old 07-05-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Centres near Reading/Tilehurst

A request from one of my Daughters. Any takers?""Hiya

I've spent 3 of the last 4 days tidying up my garden, and now nearly
all the weeds are out (the rest will follow tomorrow) I need to find a
decent garden centre to buy some plants :-)
Can you ask on the gardening newsgroup for recommendations of garden
centres to the west of Reading, so I don't just end up in Focus or B&Q?

Thanks""Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike' View Post
A request from one of my Daughters. Any takers?""Hiya

I've spent 3 of the last 4 days tidying up my garden, and now nearly
all the weeds are out (the rest will follow tomorrow) I need to find a
decent garden centre to buy some plants :-)
Can you ask on the gardening newsgroup for recommendations of garden
centres to the west of Reading, so I don't just end up in Focus or B&Q?

Thanks""Mike
Oh, please don't end up in B&Q or Focus!

I very much recommend Dobbies in Shinfield(Hyde End Road).

Winnersh Garden Centre neat the Showcase cinema is pretty good too and has a respectable loyalty scheme.

Henry St in Arborfield isn't to bad either, especailly if you are in to roses.

There is also Hare Hatch on the A4 near Twyford(opposite the Wyevale Garden Centre), plus Cobblands going just a little further down the A4. A bit further out, but worth a look.

Hope this all helps!

Fluffball
Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fluffball" wrote in message

'Mike';789889 Wrote:
[...]

Thanks Fluffball

Will copy that to her :-))

I think she has seen the photos of our garden and it has spurred her on ;-)

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=KZMK73TA

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=C7WJKALZ

I hasten to add I am not the gardener. 'Her outdoors' is that :-)

Mike

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

'Mike' wrote:

A request from one of my Daughters. Any takers?""Hiya

I've spent 3 of the last 4 days tidying up my garden, and now nearly
all the weeds are out (the rest will follow tomorrow) I need to find a
decent garden centre to buy some plants :-)
Can you ask on the gardening newsgroup for recommendations of garden
centres to the west of Reading, so I don't just end up in Focus or B&Q?

Thanks""Mike

There are several very nice garden centers in your area, there's one very
nice place down Shinfield way, with a very good water based garden center
out back. Actually i've just checked and it's the Dobbies some one else
mentioned already, well I second their recommendation.

There's also a great little place up in Blewbury called Savages. Very
friendly and sell a good range of plants, decorative and productive. As
well as excellent value bird seed, ornaments and even things like sharp
sand etc.

I remember a manor house near Tidmarsh on the road from Pangbourne to the A4
which had an excellent garden center attached, much more nursery than plant
supermarket which seems so rare these days.

Finally there's a small independent place in Woodcote, on the road past
their newsagent on the way out of woodcote heading toward Checkendon,
that's very friendly and frequently has some nice special offers on.

Cheers
Duncan
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dr" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

[...]

Thanks Duncan, will pass them on :-)

Mike

Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
A request from one of my Daughters. Any takers?""Hiya

I've spent 3 of the last 4 days tidying up my garden, and now nearly
all the weeds are out (the rest will follow tomorrow) I need to find a
decent garden centre to buy some plants :-)
Can you ask on the gardening newsgroup for recommendations of garden
centres to the west of Reading, so I don't just end up in Focus or B&Q?

Thanks""Mike

Thanks everyone.

Dobbies it was :-))

Spent a fortune she did :-)