Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New beech hedge - advice on feeding please

I am looking for advice on a foliar feed or liquid fertiliser to help
a newly planted beech hedge put on some growth. I have used cell
grown plants this time around and have put a bark mulch down to
suppress weed growth. This makes it unsuitable for a granular
fertiliser. Initial leaf growth is slight so surface area for a foliar
feed is a bit limited at present but hopefully this will change as the
season progresses.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
I've found that three of what we bought as
beech hedge are in fact Hornbeam.
Hornbeam is a popular and attractive hedging plant, I think classier than beech. Probably you didn't have in mind a random mixed hedge though.

Both of them grow in the wild in quite nutrient poor conditions, so I wonder if feeding it is really best or even necessary. Later on you'll be wanting it to grow as slowly as possible.

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
New Beech Hedge Mark[_6_] United Kingdom 26 04-01-2008 11:46 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM