Old 30-12-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Beech Hedge

I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

Old 30-12-2007, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

I can recommend not buying from Bakker a Dutch supplier of dead beech hedging.

Do Bakker actually sell and plants/shrubs now? The catalogues I've had
from them only contain information about free prize draws and about
useless 'tat' as a free gift if you give them some money.

I now recycle Bakker catalogues straight to the compost bin unopened.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 30-12-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me Me is offline

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:59:11 -0000, "Mark"

wrote:

I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

Probably now.

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

It has to be well drained too.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

I can recommend not buying from Bakker a Dutch supplier of dead beech
hedging.

Not all will be a success. If the hedge isn't too big consider planting
double
the recommended density and removing/moving those that are surplus to
requirements when you can see which are growing well.
--

Martin

Martin .................FO

Old 30-12-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Dec, 11:21, Martin wrote:
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

Probably now.

or any time up to the middle of Feb, I suppose. Get plenty of old
humous dug in if you can while the land is clean, and don't plant too
close to the boundary

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

It has to be well drained too.

Interesting. That may be why it does not do well in this part of the
Fens (clay lands)

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

I would go and find a local nurseryman (not a garden centre, but a
plantsman) who has a lot of stock in. You can't do better than local
advice and a local contact.
Old 30-12-2007, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Dec, 10:59, "Mark" wrote:
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

You don't say how long a hedge you are planting or how many plants you
are looking for.
Have a look at these people
http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...xHedgeCom.html

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 30-12-2007, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

I planted a beech hedge last year - all have flourished - none have died. I
bought them from mirrorgardens.co.uk

Old 30-12-2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

here's the link
http://www.mirrorgarden.co.uk/Index....h&search=beech

Old 31-12-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

Thanks for the replies. I need a 100plnts to do about 75 feet. I'll
investigate the suggested websites now.

mark

Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/07 23:43, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:13:45 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/12/07 18:05, in article
, "Mark"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
I want to plant a new beech hedge. When is the best time?

I am in Norfolk. The soil is sandy.

Also any recomendations for a supplier please.

mark

Thanks for the replies. I need a 100plnts to do about 75 feet. I'll
investigate the suggested websites now.

mark

I don't understand why you need 100 plants? We sell beech bare-rooted and
recommend 3' between each plant. That's 25 plants. You're talking about
planting them mere inches apart, which seems a bit strange.
Dig a trench, pop them in and keep them well watered if we have any dry
spells.

This site gives 20 cm between each plant
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...gclid=CP_y_v7X
05ACFQ6hQwodrnQKXA

I think this must be with some 'instant hedge' idea in mind. It really
isn't necessary. Given time and the proper care, plants planted as I
describe will form as dense a hedge. But if the OP wants to spend the money
that's his choice, of course.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-01-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...6hQwo drnQKXA
--

Martin

RHS advice is:

Planting
Planting distances vary from 30-60cm (1-2ft), depending on the plants'
vigor. For hedges thicker than 90cm (3ft) plant a staggered double row 45cm
(18in) apart, with plants 90cm (3ft) apart.

pk

Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/1/08 10:08, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 00:35:30 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/12/07 23:43, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:13:45 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/12/07 18:05, in article
, "Mark"

http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...l?gclid=CP_y_v
7X
05ACFQ6hQwodrnQKXA

I think this must be with some 'instant hedge' idea in mind. It really
isn't necessary. Given time and the proper care, plants planted as I
describe will form as dense a hedge. But if the OP wants to spend the money
that's his choice, of course.

We have ours planted with a similar spacing to that recommended by
hegdesdirect
They make "a dense hedge" and gives one a fighting chance of having a hedge if
not all the plants grow. Even from a good Dutch supplier around 10% failed.

I can only go by what we sell here but at the spacing I quoted, their
branches would already be touching. I'm surprised at a failure rate of 10%
because on checking with Ray, he tells me we've not had anyone coming back
with complaints and he's sold bare-rooted beech hedging for years. Of
course, much will depend on time of year, plants chosen, how they're
planted, soil, careful watering etc. Just as a matter of interest, were
your failures all in one area, or were they dotted about?
Planting densely and staggered is usually done for stock-proof fencing -
perhaps it helps with vandals and nosy neighbours, too!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/1/08 15:01, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:
snip
Of the 57 we bought from Bakker 4 survived. I think if they had known they
would
have charged extra for the survivors.

That's really extraordinary. If they were bare-rooted I wonder if they
lifted them too early. Quite often, we we get people getting slightly
impatient because such stock hasn't come in and we have to explain that they
won't be dug up until the leaves have fallen.

Of
course, much will depend on time of year, plants chosen, how they're
planted, soil, careful watering etc. Just as a matter of interest, were
your failures all in one area, or were they dotted about?

They were random within the area planted.

When my wife took them back and asked for the refund that had been promised,
the
guy refused and said she should have returned them immediately. If we had it
wouldn't have given them a chance to come into leaf, nor would we have known
which to take back :-) A typical example of the way the Dutch honour
guarantees.

Not worth the paper, by the sound of it!

Planting densely and staggered is usually done for stock-proof fencing -
perhaps it helps with vandals and nosy neighbours, too!

:-)

Don't talk about obnoxious near neighbours we had our house bombarded with
fireworks for hours yesterday.

We heard a few but at a distance. Today our fireworks have been the crow
scarer!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the replies. I need a 100plnts to do about 75 feet. I'll
investigate the suggested websites now.

mark

I don't understand why you need 100 plants? We sell beech bare-rooted and
recommend 3' between each plant. That's 25 plants. You're talking about
planting them mere inches apart, which seems a bit strange.
Dig a trench, pop them in and keep them well watered if we have any dry
spells.
--
Sacha

I used the calculator on one of the websites suggested. I suppose the site
has a vested interest in exaggerating the number needed. I'll review it. I
thought I'd plant them out in a staggered formation, zig zag.

mark

Old 02-01-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PK" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message

This site gives 20 cm between each plant
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...6hQwo drnQKXA
--

Martin

RHS advice is:

Planting
Planting distances vary from 30-60cm (1-2ft), depending on the plants'
vigor. For hedges thicker than 90cm (3ft) plant a staggered double row
45cm (18in) apart, with plants 90cm (3ft) apart.

So how many do I need for a 75 ft hedge?

mark

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
New beech hedge - advice on feeding please ChrisW[_2_] United Kingdom 3 09-05-2008 08:40 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM