Old 13-05-2008, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Privet growth

Hi there,

I have a small privet hedge at the front of my house which when grown
will give me a little privacy from the street.

I planted it 3 years ago and this year it's really taken off - growth
is about 30cm so far. I've notice that it's going to flower very soon
- if I remove the fowers before it's finished flowering, will it
stimulate more growth? I seem to recall seeing somethg about removing
flowers on a privet to prolong it's growth!

Hope you can help!

Thanks

Simon
Old 13-05-2008, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Simon writes:

| I have a small privet hedge at the front of my house which when grown
| will give me a little privacy from the street.
|
| I planted it 3 years ago and this year it's really taken off - growth
| is about 30cm so far. I've notice that it's going to flower very soon
| - if I remove the fowers before it's finished flowering, will it
| stimulate more growth? I seem to recall seeing somethg about removing
| flowers on a privet to prolong it's growth!

To some extent, yes - flowers and fruit always take energy from
growth. However, don't worry if you don't manage it ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 13 May, 10:14, mogga wrote:
On 13 May 2008 07:59:35 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Simon writes:

| I have a small privet hedge at the front of my house which when grown
| will give me a little privacy from the street.
|
| I planted it 3 years ago and this year it's really taken off - growth
| is about 30cm so far. I've notice that it's going to flower very soon
| - if I remove the fowers before it's finished flowering, will it
| stimulate more growth? I seem to recall seeing somethg about removing
| flowers on a privet to prolong it's growth!

To some extent, yes - flowers and fruit always take energy from
growth. *However, don't worry if you don't manage it ....

Unless you're allergic to the pollen.
--http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

The flowers have a most unpleasant, sickly scent, which is another
reason to get rid of them.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 13, 10:16 am, Ornata wrote:
On 13 May, 10:14, mogga wrote:

On 13 May 2008 07:59:35 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Unless you're allergic to the pollen.
--http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk-Hide quoted text -

The flowers have a most unpleasant, sickly scent, which is another
reason to get rid of them.

It may be unpleasant to you, but is attractive to bees, butterflies
and hoverflies, which is a much better reason not to get rid of the
flowers at all.