Old 24-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Mark Allison

Default About to buy a greenhouse

Hi there,

I'm about to buy a greenhouse and have sent off for about five brochures
from different companies that I saw in Gardeners World magazine. I need a
free standing one suitable for young kids (ie safety glass), 6 feet wide,
not decided on the length yet - probably 8 or 10 feet long.

Can anyone recommend a company they have bought from?

Thanks

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

Can't recommend a company but I can give you a newbie heads-up. I was given
a second-hand green house. I laid a concrete plinth and built it upon this
secure in the knowledge that the greenhouse was very heavy and would be
there for years to come.

WRONG! The wind blew it about 6 inches across the garden. Fortunately the
mastic & glass meant is was rigid enough to just slide without breaking any
panes but getting it slid back was "fun".

Now it's bolted to the concrete!

BTW, glass is much stronger than you might expect. I have a 14 month and a
3 year old and apart from the impending attack of footballs and the like
(odds are my "return kick" will be the first one to break a pane!), I don't
worry about the glass.

Paul DS.

Old 24-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Martin Brown

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

Can't recommend a company but I can give you a newbie heads-up. I was given
a second-hand green house. I laid a concrete plinth and built it upon this
secure in the knowledge that the greenhouse was very heavy and would be
there for years to come.

WRONG! The wind blew it about 6 inches across the garden. Fortunately the
mastic & glass meant is was rigid enough to just slide without breaking any
panes but getting it slid back was "fun".

You were lucky. Wind loading can annihilate a greenhouse if it jolts it or
breaks any panes facing into a gale force wind. Once the wind gets inside the
strongest gusts can spring out glass from the clips.

Now it's bolted to the concrete!

You should also reinforce the corner that faces into the prevailing wind. The
stock material on most amateur greenhouses is usually too weak and inclined to
bend or buckle during 80+ mph storms.

BTW, glass is much stronger than you might expect. I have a 14 month and a
3 year old and apart from the impending attack of footballs and the like
(odds are my "return kick" will be the first one to break a pane!), I don't
worry about the glass.

You should! As a youngster I ran through a greenhouse window and luckily got
away with it. Chicken wire mesh on wooden batton standoffs will prevent any
nasty accidents with small children. The worst risk is putting an arm through
the glass and severing a blood vessel. Horticultural glass can form very sharp
daggers.

For a heated greenhouse you should seriously consider twinwall polycarbonate.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 24-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Emrys Davies

'Mark',

I bought mine from http://www.altongreenhouses.co.uk/ about forty years
ago and it is still in a very good condition. It is very similar to the
one shown on their Home Page.

One of the main faults when selecting a greenhouse is the tendency to
buy one that is too small only to regret later that you made the wrong
choice A good size is 13' x 8'.

This site gives some useful hints to prospective greenhouse purchasers.

http://www.homeandgardening.co.uk/Ch...greenhouse.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm about to buy a greenhouse and have sent off for about five

brochures
from different companies that I saw in Gardeners World magazine. I

need a
free standing one suitable for young kids (ie safety glass), 6 feet

wide,
not decided on the length yet - probably 8 or 10 feet long.

Can anyone recommend a company they have bought from?

Thanks

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

News==----
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Old 24-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Alison

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm about to buy a greenhouse and have sent off for about five brochures
from different companies that I saw in Gardeners World magazine. I need a
free standing one suitable for young kids (ie safety glass), 6 feet wide,
not decided on the length yet - probably 8 or 10 feet long.

Can anyone recommend a company they have bought from?

We live in an exposed area with no windbreak on the prevailing SW side
(greenhouse site) so wind tolerance was a strong factor in our decision
making process. (We went for 4mm toughened safety glass.)

Last year we were considering a Robinson's after much research and
contacted, amongst others, a super company called The Incredibly Sensible
Greenhouse Company (bit of a mouthful but does exactly what it says on the
tin!). In the end we went for a 'special' that Bill, the owner, has
modified from an Elite Belmont - known as a Maxi. He took all the best
things about Robinson's (which he highly recommends too) and zooped up the
Belmont to withstand the worst that the weather could throw at it.
Basically you can have more greenhouse for your money but with no compromise
(we feel) on quality other than whisper closing doors and draught excluders
on the roof vents. This compromise gave us loads of extra bracing, 4mm
toughened glass, extra vents, hanging basket rail which doubles as length
bracing and an extruded shelf doubling as end bracing. So far it has
withstood 48mph winds without flinching - its an 8ft x 16ft.

No I don't work for them! I was just very impressed with their prompt
replies and no nonsense advice. They stock lots of makes and models so
they're quite unbiased - it was almost an afterthought that Bill mentioned
the Maxi. You can find them at:
http://www.isgreenhouses.co.uk/index.html

Good luck

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 25-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message t
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these words:

Can't recommend a company but I can give you a newbie heads-up. I was given
a second-hand green house.(snip)

BTW, glass is much stronger than you might expect. I have a 14 month and a
3 year old and apart from the impending attack of footballs and the like
(odds are my "return kick" will be the first one to break a pane!), I don't
worry about the glass.

An older GH may have "horticultural glass" (now banned for new
domestic GH's) which is cheap, thin, and easily broken into dagger
shards . Imagine the potential consequences of that at toddler
face/eye/neck/chest level. Very young children can crash into glass at
full tilt because they don't recognise it's there, just like birds.

Janet.

Old 26-04-2003, 10:08 PM
bnd777

I agree with other posters be very very careful to ensure you have safety
glass
The injuries to kids from horticultural glass can quite literally mean death
in minutes and if your kids have friends to play the lawsuit could be very
costly indeed

Old 28-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Mary Fisher

"bnd777" wrote in message
I agree with other posters be very very careful to ensure you have safety
glass
The injuries to kids from horticultural glass can quite literally mean

death
in minutes

How many people of any age are killed by greenhouses in a year?

How many people of any age are killed by motor vehicles in a year?

Mary