Old 18-05-2008, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardenia

Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.
Old 18-05-2008, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ariadne wrote:
Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.

Yes.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 18-05-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 May, 20:26, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Ariadne wrote:
Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.

Yes.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Thank you. It seems a demanding plant
but I love the scent.
Old 18-05-2008, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ariadne wrote:
Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.

Yes.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Thank you. It seems a demanding plant
but I love the scent.

This is the most difficult plant i have tried to grow, well apart from
Meconopsis !

Mine is still not looking too good ,dry brown leaf tips/edges so can offer
no cultural advise .

Regards Keith

Old 18-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.
They prefer an acidic medium, so yes.

Old 19-05-2008, 12:43 AM
may may is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardenia
just looked up this and it says on there that they like acidic soil with good drainage

Old 19-05-2008, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 May, 00:43, may wrote:
Ariadne;792569 Wrote:

Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardenia*
just looked up this *and it says on there that they like acidic soil
with good *drainage

--
may

Thank you. There seem to be temperature and humidity
factors also.
Old 19-05-2008, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ariadne wrote:
Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.

Yes.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Thank you. It seems a demanding plant
but I love the scent.

I think I covered this in a posting some time ago.

Basically, it likes a free-draining, but always moist, acid soil. Never let
it get cold (minimum of 12, preferably never below 15°C), and give it good
light with a humid atmosphere. If you can't give it a humid atmosphere,
spray it every day with tepid water. A west-facing bathroom window would be
ideal (as the frosted glass diffuses any intense sunlight). Some liquid
fertiliser once every fortnight or so will help keep it healthy.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 19-05-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ariadne wrote:
[...]

(cut "thetape" to reply)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again. The following link seems a
complete guide:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....dea5c6e8e40ef2

Old 20-05-2008, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 19 May, 00:43, may wrote:
Ariadne;792569 Wrote:

Does anyone know if ericaceous compost would
be good to use for a gardenia?

Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardenia
just looked up this and it says on there that they like acidic soil
with good drainage

--
may

Thank you. There seem to be temperature and humidity
factors also.

I bought a nearly-dead, shrivelled, drooping gardenia with mostly brown
leaves in a pot from Aldi back in February, reduced to 50p. Well, at that
price I could afford to take a chance :-).

I fed it, using rainwater and ordinary plant food, and set it in a large
plant tray on that green fibre used for hanging baskets. I kept the plant
tray fibre quite moist, so it would mean I didn't need to spray/mist it
every day, although I do mist it every few days, as well as watering the
soil itself.

I read (in Dr. Hessayon's book) that, in order to set flowers, it needs to
be about 60F at night in the winter, rising to 70F during the day, and also
not in direct sunlight, so I put it on a table in a south-facing room, but
where the sun didn't quite reach it.

And voila! I've had a spectacular succession of flowers for a couple of
weeks now, and it looks to be going on for several more weeks at least.

My first ever gardenia success (because I have had several failures before).

someone

Old 21-05-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 May, 18:00, "someone" wrote:
"Ariadne" wrote in message

On 19 May, 00:43, may wrote:

Ariadne;792569 Wrote:

[...]

Brilliant! I bought one for me and one for a gifted
gardener I know. He once grew one from seed.

I offered to share my ericaceous compost and
plant food with him. His response? "No, thanks.
I've got a tub of rainwater!"

Do you always use rainwater?
Old 25-05-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ariadne" wrote in message
On 20 May, 18:00, "someone" wrote:
"Ariadne" wrote in message

On 19 May, 00:43, may wrote:

Ariadne;792569 Wrote:

[...]

No. I've gone back to tapwater now that I can see the plant's doing well.
In fact I have a new flush of buds coming on.

Thanks for posting though, I checked out gardenias on Google and see that
they like ericaceous soil and rainwater, so I think I'll go back to
rainwater for it. I haven't had to repot yet.

How amazing of your friend to grow a gardenia from seed! For whatever
reason, my gardenia doesn't seem to set seed.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 25, 12:28*am, "someone" wrote:
"Ariadne" wrote in message

On 20 May, 18:00, "someone" wrote:

"Ariadne" wrote in message

On 19 May, 00:43, may wrote:

Ariadne;792569 Wrote:

[...]

Oh, the excitement! First flower!

History And Care Of Gardenia Plants And Gardenia Flowers BobWalsh Gardening 12 19-02-2012 04:30 AM
Gardenia leaves turning yellow [email protected] Gardening 4 12-04-2003 12:56 PM
Gardenia Honky Nut Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
gardenia help req ÑòDd¥ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Gardenia Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 05:39 AM