Old 20-05-2008, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Bats in the belfry

Well, the garden shed. We were delighted yesterday when someone heard
squeaking and shuffling behind the vertical larch lap of one of the sheds.
It looks as if long-eared bats are roosting (nesting?) there. We could just
see their tiny heads moving about from time to time so we'll have to go down
there at dusk and wait to see if they emerge. We always get bats around
here in the summer but didn't know they were actually on the property.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-05-2008, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Well, the garden shed. We were delighted yesterday when someone heard
squeaking and shuffling behind the vertical larch lap of one of the sheds.

Try not to disturb them any more than is absolutely necessary.

It looks as if long-eared bats are roosting (nesting?) there. We could just
see their tiny heads moving about from time to time so we'll have to go down
there at dusk and wait to see if they emerge. We always get bats around
here in the summer but didn't know they were actually on the property.

It is the season. They are in a summer roost and mostly pregnant females
or possibly just with young now. Plenty of food on the wing with masses
of mayflies etc.

They come out at dusk, but their flight muscles are still a bit cold so
they fly relatively slowly. It is worth watching them come home at dawn
when they are flying at their full potential.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-05-2008, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Well, the garden shed. We were delighted yesterday when someone heard
squeaking and shuffling behind the vertical larch lap of one of the sheds.
It looks as if long-eared bats are roosting (nesting?) there. We could
just
see their tiny heads moving about from time to time so we'll have to go
down
there at dusk and wait to see if they emerge. We always get bats around
here in the summer but didn't know they were actually on the property.

That's a coincidence I was just reading in their newsletter how the Woodside
Animal sanctuary is trying to entice bats into their bat boxes

Old 20-05-2008, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/5/08 08:13, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Well, the garden shed. We were delighted yesterday when someone heard
squeaking and shuffling behind the vertical larch lap of one of the sheds.

Try not to disturb them any more than is absolutely necessary.

The shed is used for storing tools and by Matthew for woodwork but they're
on the exterior. It's on a path that customers and staff walk up and down
all the time but they're so well tucked into the little crack between the
panels that it was only their noise that gave them away. Obviously, they're
not bothered by the people nearby! Bit like a bird that nested in a 'for
sale' apple tree in a row of many others a few years ago. Needless to say,
that one wasn't sold!

It looks as if long-eared bats are roosting (nesting?) there. We could just
see their tiny heads moving about from time to time so we'll have to go down
there at dusk and wait to see if they emerge. We always get bats around
here in the summer but didn't know they were actually on the property.

It is the season. They are in a summer roost and mostly pregnant females
or possibly just with young now. Plenty of food on the wing with masses
of mayflies etc.

They come out at dusk, but their flight muscles are still a bit cold so
they fly relatively slowly. It is worth watching them come home at dawn
when they are flying at their full potential.

Somehow, I think we're more likely to see them at dusk. ;-)) One of the
staff found a bat on the path a few days ago and carried it into the other,
lean-to shed. As soon as it got into the gloom it flew away and up into the
beams. I wonder if it's rejoined its family. Thanks for the information,
Martin.

Old 20-05-2008, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 May, 08:46, Sacha wrote:
On 20/5/08 08:27, in article ,

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Well, the garden shed. We were delighted yesterday when someone heard
squeaking and shuffling behind the vertical larch lap of one of the sheds.
It looks as if long-eared bats are roosting (nesting?) there. We could
just
see their tiny heads moving about from time to time so we'll have to go
down
there at dusk and wait to see if they emerge. We always get bats around
here in the summer but didn't know they were actually on the property.

That's a coincidence I was just reading in their newsletter how the Woodside
Animal sanctuary is trying to entice bats into their bat boxes

No enticing needed here. We've left them to their own devices and obviously
they're happy. ;-) It's a wonderful time of year with all these birds
around and now bats, too - lovely!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

I saw on hunting at about three in the afternoon along the river
during the warm spell recently. I have never seen one before dusk
before.

Jonathan
Old 20-05-2008, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/5/08 08:56, in article
, "Jonathan"
wrote:

On 20 May, 08:46, Sacha wrote:
On 20/5/08 08:27, in article ,

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Nor I. Whereabouts is that, Jonathan? On summer evenings here, the best
time is somewhere between 8 and 9 usually. We take a glass of wine into the
garden and sit on a bench overlooking the big lawn. There's an old cedar
tree at the bottom of the lawn and it must be a good area for hunting
because the bats swoop in and out under its canopy, sometimes zooming
further up to take a few right over our heads. It's a fantastic sight.

Old 20-05-2008, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 May, 09:00, Sacha wrote:
On 20/5/08 08:56, in article
, "Jonathan"

wrote:
On 20 May, 08:46, Sacha wrote:
On 20/5/08 08:27, in article ,

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I live in south Warwickshire in an old Mill. We have a lot of bats and
I presume they are hunting insects hatching our on the water.

Jonathan
Old 20-05-2008, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:56:06 +0100, Jonathan wrote
(in article
):

[re bats]
snip

I saw on hunting at about three in the afternoon along the river
during the warm spell recently. I have never seen one before dusk
before.

Jonathan, if you find my post titled "OT: bat drinking from pond in daytime"
dated 18th July 2007 (you should be able to find it via Google Groups) you
will see I raised this very question, and David Poole said:

quote I wonder whether this might be Daubenton's Bat, which is notorious
for flying over expanses of water late in the day to feed and drink. It's
not particularly endangered and appears to be one of the few species that are
slowly increasing n numbers. /quote

I looked them up, and it did indeed seem that "our" bat was a Daubenton's
Bat.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 20-05-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/5/08 09:13, in article
,
"Jonathan" wrote:
snip

I live in south Warwickshire in an old Mill. We have a lot of bats and
I presume they are hunting insects hatching our on the water.

Jonathan

Er, your surname isn't Creek by any chance? ;-))

Old 20-05-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Sacha wrote:

On 20/5/08 08:56, in article
,
"Jonathan" wrote:

On 20 May, 08:46, Sacha wrote:
On 20/5/08 08:27, in article ,

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It's nice to know we're not the only ones who sit outside at night in the
dark watching bats. I think our old neighbours thought we were the Addams
family sometimes. Sitting outside under a full moon with a pair of black
cats, a drink and "ooh'ing" and "aah'ing" about bats flitting around our
heads.

I got the feeling if you sit outside the midges like to come near to you for
a feed themselves and of course they are the bats food hence you draw the
bats toward you.

Duncan
Old 20-05-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brown" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Well, the garden shed. We were delighted yesterday when someone heard
squeaking and shuffling behind the vertical larch lap of one of the sheds.

Try not to disturb them any more than is absolutely necessary.

The shed is used for storing tools and by Matthew for woodwork but they're
on the exterior. It's on a path that customers and staff walk up and down
all the time but they're so well tucked into the little crack between the
panels that it was only their noise that gave them away. Obviously, they're
not bothered by the people nearby! Bit like a bird that nested in a 'for
sale' apple tree in a row of many others a few years ago. Needless to say,
that one wasn't sold!

They tend to live under the eaves or in cracks. I can't really see how
they get into our loft but they manage it easily enough. I just put an
old roasting tray under the roost to catch most of the droppings. They
also sit behind the N facing external weather boards as well.

[...]

It is more likely that being held in the hand warmed its flight muscles
up to the point where it could fly again. They sort of go into torpor if
they get stuck on the ground as can sometimes happen in a house with
nice painted skirting boards when their hooks won't catch on anything.
Even the smallest baby bats can climb a brick wall at astonishing speed.

Officially you are not supposed to handle bats without a license but the
local bat watch taught me how to do it to avoid being called out every
time one got itself into trouble. We have a summer roost of about 200
pipestrelles - and they eat a lot of mozzies!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-05-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/5/08 11:16, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:
snip

Officially you are not supposed to handle bats without a license but the
local bat watch taught me how to do it to avoid being called out every
time one got itself into trouble. We have a summer roost of about 200
pipestrelles - and they eat a lot of mozzies!

Well, if it was lift it up or let it die - no choice here! The chap
concerned is the son of a farmer so handling bats is nothing new for him.