Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Registered User

Default Hawthorne, holly or something else?

Hello
I have a north-facing garden in suburban Manchester. Although north-facing, behind the back fence is the end of a cul-de-sac rather than another house.

I want to plant prickly/defensive shrubs against the back fence (i.e. south-facing) and hawthorne or holly have been suggested.

The fence gets plenty of sun in late spring/summer, but in winter it gets much less light, especially the western end. This confuses me when looking at suitable plants, with regard to comments about full sun/partial sun/shade.

Would hawthorne or holly be most suitable in this situation? I tend to lean towards hawthorne, mainly because I've had Holly elsewhere which has been extremely dark green, concerned this might make the garden too dark in winter (not that I see the garden in daylight much in winter anwyay!) Suggestions for varieties welcome, pref pink/red flowers for hawthorne.

Thanks in advance
Sue