Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please identify this beautiful tree

On 1/6/08 21:22, in article , "hedge"
wrote:

Hi all

I have seen this beautiful tree many times this Spring and love the
flowers. They smell very fresh and powdery.

It has red and green leaves and has strings of small creamy-white
flower that tend to bunch. They can grow quite tall and from what I
have seen, they seem to be dense trees. Thanx.

I hope you can see this image:

[image:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2j0jype.jpg]

Do a Google image search on Pieris japonica. If I'm right, that looks like
a well-established and very happy specimen.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
Hi all

I have seen this beautiful tree many times this Spring and love the flowers. They smell very fresh and powdery.

It has red and green leaves and has strings of small creamy-white flower that tend to bunch. They can grow quite tall and from what I have seen, they seem to be dense trees. Thanx.

I hope you can see this image:

http://i31.tinypic.com/2j0jype.jpg
It is Pieris, probably japonica.

http://tinyurl.com/6435hd
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
It is Pieris, probably japonica.

http://tinyurl.com/6435hd

Thanx becca. The tree I mentioned has red leaves but it does look very similar to the name you have mentioned.
I have googled the name "JAPANESE PIERIS" and managed to get this-
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Much appreciated- I might be on the right track now!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
Thanx becca. The tree I mentioned has red leaves but it does look very similar to the name you have mentioned.
I have googled the name "JAPANESE PIERIS" and managed to get this-
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Much appreciated- I might be on the right track now!
The Pieris has wonderful brilliant red new leaves that go yellow and then green, while at the same time producing these racemes of white flowers.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , hedge
writes

beccabunga;795692 Wrote:
It is Pieris, probably japonica.

http://tinyurl.com/6435hd

Thanx becca. The tree I mentioned has red leaves but it does look very
similar to the name you have mentioned.
I have googled the name "JAPANESE PIERIS" and managed to get this-
http://tinyurl.com/3p8f7a

Much appreciated- I might be on the right track now!

The young foliage of Pieris is red. It will turn green later.
--
hedge

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley