Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Zealand Greenery - Hebe Plants

Bring some Antipodean extravagance to your garden with Hebe plants. We
found out more in an interview with Tony Hayter, Secretary of the Hebe
Society.

1. Can you tell us, what exactly is a Hebe?

A Hebe is a close related of Veronica (speedwell). It is an evergreen
shrub that comes from New Zealand. There are 100 species and many
cultivars

CONTINUES......http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk/#/hebeplants/4529038214
Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message
,
writes
Bring some Antipodean extravagance to your garden with Hebe plants. We
found out more in an interview with Tony Hayter, Secretary of the Hebe
Society.

1. Can you tell us, what exactly is a Hebe?

A Hebe is a close related of Veronica (speedwell). It is an evergreen
shrub that comes from New Zealand. There are 100 species and many
cultivars

By more recent botanical opinion a Hebe is a Veronica of subgenus Hebe,
i.e. Hebe is nested in Veronica.

http://www.albach.gmxhome.de/Classif...n.htm#Veronica

Amazing how things come around! I have spent the last 25 years trying to
get my mother to call them Hebe not Veronica, Pghiladelphus will return
to Syringa as well and her world would be perect!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/6/08 19:15, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
In message
,
writes
Bring some Antipodean extravagance to your garden with Hebe plants. We
found out more in an interview with Tony Hayter, Secretary of the Hebe
Society.

1. Can you tell us, what exactly is a Hebe?

A Hebe is a close related of Veronica (speedwell). It is an evergreen
shrub that comes from New Zealand. There are 100 species and many
cultivars

By more recent botanical opinion a Hebe is a Veronica of subgenus Hebe,
i.e. Hebe is nested in Veronica.

http://www.albach.gmxhome.de/Classif...n.htm#Veronica

Amazing how things come around! I have spent the last 25 years trying to
get my mother to call them Hebe not Veronica, Pghiladelphus will return
to Syringa as well and her world would be perect!

And Aloysia triphylla will revert to Lippia citrodora (which I much prefer)
and still be Lemon Verbena to many!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/6/08 19:15, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
In message
,
writes
Bring some Antipodean extravagance to your garden with Hebe plants. We
found out more in an interview with Tony Hayter, Secretary of the Hebe
Society.

1. Can you tell us, what exactly is a Hebe?

A Hebe is a close related of Veronica (speedwell). It is an evergreen
shrub that comes from New Zealand. There are 100 species and many
cultivars

By more recent botanical opinion a Hebe is a Veronica of subgenus Hebe,
i.e. Hebe is nested in Veronica.

http://www.albach.gmxhome.de/Classif...n.htm#Veronica

Amazing how things come around! I have spent the last 25 years trying to
get my mother to call them Hebe not Veronica, Pghiladelphus will return
to Syringa as well and her world would be perect!

I'm not sure that Philadelphus was ever in Syringa. Syringa has got into
circulation as a vernacular name for Philadelphus, but both genera were
recognised as far back as Linnaeus.

[Googling finds a reference to Gerard using the name Syringa - referring
to the hollow stems - for both lilac and mock orange - over 100 years
before Linnaeus.]

The chance of Philadelphus being placed in Syringa are remote;
Philadelphus belongs to family Hydrangaceae in order Cornales (it used
to be in the rather unnatural Saxifragaceae sensu lato), while Syringa
belongs to family Oleaceae in order Lamiales. This contrasts with the
situation with Veronica and Hebe, where it was always recognised that
they were closely related.

There's a better chance of lilacs becoming Ligustrum. (There's data out
there suggesting that Ligustrum is nested in Syringa, and Ligustrum
occurs earlier in Species Plantarum than Syringa.)

And Aloysia triphylla will revert to Lippia citrodora (which I much prefer)
and still be Lemon Verbena to many!

That might happen. Fide WikiPedia the current name is Aloysia citrodora.
It seems that L'Heritier's use of the epithet triphylla (1785-6)
predated Lamarck's use of the epithet citrodora (1791), but an earlier
(1784) use of citrodora by a 3rd botanist has been found. So all it
would take is to decide that Lippia warrants generic rank. On the other
hand, triphylla has been in use from 1925, so it could get conserved.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/6/08 22:18, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/6/08 19:15, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
In message
,
writes
[...]

Surely we're just talking about what people called them, not what they
actually should be?

[...]

Fine, then I'm sticking to Lippia citrodora. Most customers call it lemon
verbena anyway!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/6/08 22:18, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/6/08 19:15, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
In message
,
writes
[...]

When we're talking about botanical names (which I thought we were) we
are usually talking about what they should be - unlike vernacular names,
there are prescriptive rules for botanical names. (The alternative is to
discuss the history of the nomenclature of a taxon, but even then the
purpose of such discussion is normally to ascertain what the taxon
should be called.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Hebe Andersonii Variegata Variegated Hebe Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 09:41 AM
Hebe or not Hebe Twobtold Gardening 9 29-08-2004 08:33 PM
New Zealand plants Geoff Bryant United Kingdom 0 13-06-2004 12:10 PM
New Zealand plants Geoff Bryant Plant Science 0 13-06-2004 12:05 PM
New Zealand Plants Geoff Bryant Australia 0 13-06-2004 12:04 PM