Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default trowel?

Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's it
called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle just
press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 4:56*pm, "BB" . wrote:
Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's it
called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle just
press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

A dibber? As in dibber dee do da, dibber dee ay!

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=dibber&gbv=2

Cat(h)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BB" . wrote in message
Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's
it called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle
just press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

From the description sounds like a brick pointing (jointer) tool ( builders
for the use of) http://preview.tinyurl.com/4db4me don't be led by the
fleabay price cheap shops
sell them for £1-2

Derek

Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/6/08 17:24, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Jun 4, 4:56*pm, "BB" . wrote:
Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's it
called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle just
press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

A dibber? As in dibber dee do da, dibber dee ay!

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=dibber&gbv=2

Cat(h)

Sounds like a Stilton scoop to me. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB[_2_] View Post
Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's it
called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle just
press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

Does it look like this? http://tinyurl.com/5cvovt

If so, it's just called a narrow bladed trowel.

Darlac do one: http://tinyurl.com/5qzc7w

Old 04-06-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:56:50 +0100, "BB" .
wrote:

Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's it
called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle just
press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

Dandelion grubber? I have one.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BB" . wrote in message
Hi
I'm trying to replace a little do da. And therein is the problem, what's
it called?
Metal, about 6 inches long, say 1/2 inch wide one end and 3/4's the other,
scooped like a very small trowel. I thought it was for seeds. No handle
just press metal.
Any help appreciated.
BB

I bought a thing called a bulb trowel in Canada, same dimensions but with a
handle. As it's very narrow it's useful for deep digging (e.g. weeds) but
doesn't disturb nearby plants.

someone

Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Got it! Thanks to all.
Used the dibber link, found something close and searched.
It's a widger.
http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/pd_559260.htm

Cheers me dears.
BB

Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Registered User

It is in fact a small scoop originally used in laboratories for weighing chemicals. It was convenient for weighing small amounts, and either end could be used depending on the amount. Laboratory suppliers would sell them if you have one in your area, but I have seen them in garden centres. The small end can be quite useful for pricking out seedlings, but what the actual name is I cannot remember. A long time since I worked in a laboratory.

Turbo trowel David Hill United Kingdom 9 12-08-2013 03:33 PM
Hand trowel question, could be tricky!! mrmagoo United Kingdom 6 21-02-2011 10:24 AM
Really strong hand trowel Rob United Kingdom 10 24-04-2010 03:22 AM
Hand trowel & fork suggestions Mike United Kingdom 6 11-08-2004 01:13 PM