Old 25-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Mike

Default Wood Shavings On Compost ?

My mum had some bulbs delivered by mail which were wrapped in wood
shavings.She wants to make a hole and add the shavings to the compost
heap. I am not sure if this would be a good idea.

We do not know what type of wood these shavings are made from although
the amount is small, approximately 1/2 a bucket.

Could I have your comments please as to whether wood shavings would be
beneficial to the heap ?

Thanks.

Mike.

Old 25-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Mike

In article , Mike
writes
My mum had some bulbs delivered by mail which were wrapped in wood
shavings.She wants to make a hole and add the shavings to the compost
heap. I am not sure if this would be a good idea.

We do not know what type of wood these shavings are made from although
the amount is small, approximately 1/2 a bucket.

Could I have your comments please as to whether wood shavings would be
beneficial to the heap ?

Thanks.

Mike.

As there was no ill effect to the bulbs, then the wood shavings should
be OK. I would scatter them over the top of the heap as a layer, well as
far as half a bucket would go.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 25-04-2003, 10:32 AM
bigboard

Mike wrote:
My mum had some bulbs delivered by mail which were wrapped in wood
shavings.She wants to make a hole and add the shavings to the compost
heap. I am not sure if this would be a good idea.

We do not know what type of wood these shavings are made from although
the amount is small, approximately 1/2 a bucket.

Could I have your comments please as to whether wood shavings would be
beneficial to the heap ?

Thanks.

Mike.

You can certainly add them, but as wood shavings are high in carbon they
will take longer than other material to compost. They may also slow down
the rest of the compost as Nitrogen is used up in their decomposition.
If you add them, I would add some high nitrogen material at the same
time, such as chicken manure or if you're not too squeemish, urine.

Wood Shavings vsop United Kingdom 2 07-04-2010 10:15 PM
old dead wood from a tree stronger than any other wood from that tree? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 10 09-01-2005 08:14 AM
compost question, massive dose of wood shavings Raymond RUSSELL United Kingdom 33 30-01-2004 09:38 PM
compost question, massive dose of wood shavings Raymond RUSSELL United Kingdom 0 26-01-2004 11:18 PM
manure with wood shavings Mike Forey United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 11:32 PM