Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Raymond RUSSELL

Default compost question, massive dose of wood shavings

Hello all

I have just had a big old epicea and an over-aged walnut
felled and a lot of the branches shredded.

The epicea shreddings will presumably be good for acidic plants,
e.g. rhododendron.

Can the large amount of walnut shreddings be put straight on the compost
heap ?

I seem to recall someone saying that sudden large amounts
of wood-derived compost
would draw certain useful elements out of the soil.

Grateful for advice, from Ray

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
bigboard

Raymond RUSSELL wrote:
Hello all

I have just had a big old epicea and an over-aged walnut
felled and a lot of the branches shredded.

The epicea shreddings will presumably be good for acidic plants,
e.g. rhododendron.

Can the large amount of walnut shreddings be put straight on the compost
heap ?

I seem to recall someone saying that sudden large amounts
of wood-derived compost
would draw certain useful elements out of the soil.

Grateful for advice, from Ray

Wood chippings will draw a lot of nitrogen from the soil if applied
direct. If you compost them first, there won't be a problem. It would be
a good idea to mix the chippings with high nitrogen material as they
will compost more quickly this way.

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Raymond RUSSELL

Dear bigboard

It would be a good idea to mix the wood chippings
with high nitrogen material xxxx

such as what ? manure ? veg remains ?

Best regards, from Ray

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Nick Wagg

Raymond RUSSELL wrote:

Dear bigboard

It would be a good idea to mix the wood chippings
with high nitrogen material xxxx

such as what ? manure ? veg remains ?

Green stuff, particularly lawn clippings.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
bigboard

Raymond RUSSELL wrote:
Dear bigboard

It would be a good idea to mix the wood chippings
with high nitrogen material xxxx

such as what ? manure ? veg remains ?

Yep, both good. As a rough guide, green stuff is high in nitrogen, and
grass clippings are particularly good. For the best results, mix it all
up thoroughly. Another excellent source of nitrogen, but not a technique
that everyone will like, is to pee on your heap as often as possible. I
have neighbours, so have to wait until after dark!

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Raymond RUSSELL

Hello bigboard, Nick et al

Another excellent source of nitrogen,
but not a technique that everyone will like,
is to pee on your heap as often as possible.

Oh that's good news.
I've been doing that for years
(though more to save drinking water).
I often say hello to a neighbour peeing on his heap at the same time.
My wife and daughters think I'm disgusting
but now I have scientific argument on my side.

Best regards, from Ray

Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"bigboard" wrote in message
Raymond RUSSELL wrote:
Dear bigboard

It would be a good idea to mix the wood chippings
with high nitrogen material xxxx

such as what ? manure ? veg remains ?

Yep, both good. As a rough guide, green stuff is high in nitrogen, and
grass clippings are particularly good. For the best results, mix it all
up thoroughly. Another excellent source of nitrogen, but not a technique
that everyone will like, is to pee on your heap as often as possible. I
have neighbours, so have to wait until after dark!

A bucket in the greenhouse makes this unnecessary.

Franz

Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote in message
Hello all

I have just had a big old epicea and an over-aged walnut
felled and a lot of the branches shredded.

The epicea shreddings will presumably be good for acidic plants,
e.g. rhododendron.

Can the large amount of walnut shreddings be put straight on the compost
heap ?

I seem to recall someone saying that sudden large amounts
of wood-derived compost
would draw certain useful elements out of the soil.

It is not the "wood-derived" compost which is the problem. It is the wood,
in the process of rotting, which needs nitrogen from its environment

Franz

Wood Shavings vsop United Kingdom 2 07-04-2010 10:15 PM
compost question, massive dose of wood shavings Raymond RUSSELL United Kingdom 0 26-01-2004 11:18 PM
manure with wood shavings Mike Forey United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 11:32 PM
Conifer aphid massive infestation Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 9 26-04-2003 10:33 PM
Wood Shavings On Compost ? Mike United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 06:20 PM