Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis

Just moved into a new house and there is a small - big enough to sit out
with a plastic garden table and chairs - balcony outside our bedroom.
The sides of the balcony are covered by a Clematis which is growing from
ground level and has a trunk as thick as a small tree. It had overflowed
onto the balcony and had actually covered a small conifer growing there
to the extent that we only noticed it's tip poking out from the Clematis
several days after we had moved in!

I have liberated the conifer to the patio and cut the Clematis back from
where it was overflowing onto the balcony - including where it seemed to
be growing behind the gutter and into the roof - it is still 95% as it
was. I would like to seriously prune it back, but how brutal can I be
without killing it and when? The house is rented and the landlord might
object if we start killing his plants off.

Brian and Sue.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

PS It seems to be just coming to the end of its flowering.

Brian and Sue.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/6/08 21:51, in article , "Brian
Robertson" wrote:

Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

It's possible that it's C. montana. If you do a Google image search on
that, it will help you ID it. If it is, this will help you prune it!
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile...is_montana.asp
If it's not, a description would help.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a montana type, now is a good time to prune them and
generally you will do no harm if you stick to a pair of secateurs,
anything they will go through is fair game, it will look a terrible mess
for a while but will quickly regrow and by doing it now you should also
get some flower next year.
It is not generally a good idea to cut into the older thick wood as it
does not always regrow (although often it will)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robertson" wrote:

Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

Does this look like a c.montana? Hope the pics are clear enough.

http://www.thesectionalappendix.co.uk/clemanti.html

Brian.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Brian Robertson writes:

| Does this look like a c.montana? Hope the pics are clear enough.
|
| http://www.thesectionalappendix.co.uk/clemanti.html

It does to me, but I am not a clematis expert.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robertson" wrote:

Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I can't believe how the thing has grown back in just the few
short days since I trimmed some bits off it!

Brian.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robertson" wrote:

Brian Robertson wrote:
[...]

This weather is perfect for speedy growth. It's been very wet and then
we've had hot sun. I was watering the garden this morning in an area where
two big macrocarpa were taken down last year. It's got Beberis down one
side of a path and the new growth on those now they've got so much sun, is
just staggering.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

new website to come

Sacha can you mild tweak the clematis/ivy that is decorating the home
page? On my computer at least it completely hides the photographs of the
staff! . Not sure if that's intentional or whether it should be on the
edge of the frame?

Janet

p.s. Sacha are you still answering your old email address from the
original site? No replies from you regarding the begonia fuchsiodes that
I was going to send you if you haven't got it!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph