Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered User

Default billit

Igrew my tomatoes as normal this year but for some unkown reason they seem to have gone very leggy any advice as why this has happened and any advice as to how this can be remedied if possible would be most appreciated
Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Billit contains these words:

Igrew my tomatoes as normal this year but for some unkown reason they
seem to have gone very leggy any advice as why this has happened and
any advice as to how this can be remedied if possible would be most
appreciated

Not enough light.

Not enough room for roots, and not enough feeding?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:28:12 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from Billit contains these words:

Igrew my tomatoes as normal this year but for some unkown reason they
seem to have gone very leggy any advice as why this has happened and
any advice as to how this can be remedied if possible would be most
appreciated

Not enough light.

Not enough room for roots, and not enough feeding?

Are they in pots or in the ground?
How tall are they?
Greenhouse or outdoors?
Certainly lack of light is the most likely. It depends where they
were.
A trick I learned here on this group a few years ago, is to plant
really leggy tomatoes extra deep, even laying part of the stem down
underground. They will produce roots up the stem and give sturdier
plants.
I also have heard that you should not feed tomatoes until after the
first truss has begun to form. If you do feed only use tomato feed.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:43:55 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

A trick I learned here on this group a few years ago, is to plant
really leggy tomatoes extra deep, even laying part of the stem down
underground. They will produce roots up the stem and give sturdier
plants.

A useful tip. I always plant out tomatoes from pots into the green
house by removing the first pair of leaves and planting the toms at
least 4-5 inches deeper than their level in the pots. They do indeed
produce toots from the buried stems very rapidly, to the plant's
advantage.

(Don't try this with cucumbers!!)

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

billit Billit United Kingdom 3 22-07-2008 04:38 PM
billit Billit United Kingdom 2 27-06-2008 11:14 PM
billit Billit United Kingdom 3 26-06-2008 08:48 PM
billit Billit United Kingdom 3 18-06-2008 06:45 PM
billit Billit United Kingdom 9 31-03-2008 09:20 PM