Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Registered User

Default Trouble with my Cordyline!

Hi All,

I have a problem with my Cordyline and was hoping you could help!!!

I recently bought a cordyline tree and transplanted it from it’s huge pot in to the ground about 1 month ago.

At first, all seemed OK, but recently I noticed that one of the heads wasn’t sprouting any new leaves. I was alarmed by this and so got a ladder and climbed up to see what was going on. I then found that the crown was rotting…

Additional information:-

- The soil in my area is clay like and quite heavy
- When I inspected the crown more closely, I noticed woodlice around there – not sure whether they are the cause or whether they’ve come because of the rotting?
- I haven’t had a chance to check the other head yet, but from the pics, it looks as though it is OK.
- The tree did flower...
- I’ve stopped watering it as I suspect it could be due to over watering, but not sure.

Is there anything that can be done to save the tree….?

Your advice would be much appreciated…

Amit

PS I have some pics if needed, but for some reason, when trying to upload them with this post failed!
Old 13-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Registered User

Hopefully these pics will help demonstrate my problem better!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=atqipx&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ifew3&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16c9xe0&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=300wqy1&s=3

Thanks again

Amit
Old 13-06-2008, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Hopefully these pics will help demonstrate my problem better!

http://tinyurl.com/4oj4v2

http://tinyurl.com/4hgntr

http://tinyurl.com/43bsrb

http://tinyurl.com/4vlzwa

Thanks again

Amit

It does happen occassionally, sometimes the dieing flower will take out
the whole shoot, but its most likely that the stem was damaged before it
arrived with you. I would expect it to side shoot following flowering and
would not be overly concerned (removing the rotted bit might help)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered User

Thanks Charlie, your advice is much appreciated.

Going to remove as much of the rotten bit as I can now and keep my fingers crossed!