Old 14-06-2008, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Could somebody ID this plant please?

Does anyone know what this is? My next door neighbour gave it to me,
and she doesn't know what it is either. Thanks.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/IMG_1268.jpg
Old 14-06-2008, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lisa wrote:
Does anyone know what this is? My next door neighbour gave it to me,
and she doesn't know what it is either. Thanks.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/IMG_1268.jpg

Looks like a vetch (Vicia sp) to me.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 14-06-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article a0b92c86-aa67-4421-bb65-
,
says...
Does anyone know what this is? My next door neighbour gave it to me,
and she doesn't know what it is either. Thanks.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/IMG_1268.jpg

If you like each other it may be galega if not its a vetch!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-06-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article a0b92c86-aa67-4421-bb65-
,
says...
Does anyone know what this is? My next door neighbour gave it to me,
and she doesn't know what it is either. Thanks.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/IMG_1268.jpg

If you like each other it may be galega if not its a vetch!

Galega is odd-pinnate (with a single terminal leaflet), while Vicia is
even-pinnate with a terminal tendril (or reduced tendril).

Assuming it's something native, which may not be wise, it looks rather
like tufted vetch (Vicia cracca), but I'm not sure of that
identification. Similar species, fide Stace, are fine-leaved vetch and
Danzig vetch.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-06-2008, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lisa" wrote in message
Does anyone know what this is? My next door neighbour gave it to me,
and she doesn't know what it is either. Thanks.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/IMG_1268.jpg

My guess is Goats Rue.

Old 15-06-2008, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Lisa" wrote in message
Does anyone know what this is? My next door neighbour gave it to me,
and she doesn't know what it is either. Thanks.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/IMG_1268.jpg

My guess is Goats Rue.

We have this in our garden and have always known it as galega (which is
sometimes called Goats Rue).

It is a hardy perennial which grows to 3-4 feet. Cut down in autumn or early
spring. In windy conditions it does tend to blow over (and cover everything
else around). Every year I say I will stake it in spring and every year I
forget

Jeanne

Somebody we know? Michael Savage United Kingdom 1 26-11-2004 06:49 AM
can somebody suggest Rasputin Ponds 9 06-01-2004 07:02 PM
Can somebody help me Michael Shaffer Ponds 6 25-06-2003 12:08 AM
brick (is taken by somebody else) Jane Peppler North Carolina 1 10-05-2003 09:56 PM
IS THERE SOMEBODY IN THIS NEWSGROUP IN ASUTRALIA?? A. N. Orchids 1 24-04-2003 01:20 AM