Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
Greetings all. I have just joined the group and I look forward to reading the boards and sharing in the discussion.
I am pretty much a newbie gardener. I took early retirement last year and I am now starting to enjoy my garden, having spent the last 3 months building walls and beds! I have now put up my first greenhouse and I plan to do the usual stuff with tomatoes etc next year. My question now is, what can I do with it this year? It is a 6'x6' and is in a position such that one side i partially shaded whilst the other side gets the sun for most of the day.
I hope to sow bedding plants for the garden in readiness for early planting next year but for now I would be happy for any tips. In fact, I would be happy for any tips at all to help me get the most out of the greenhouse.

Many thanks

Ian
One tip Ian, almost everyone supports thier plants in the greenhouse with these bamboo stick readily available. Once the plants are growing everyone spots something on the plant and bends down for a closer look. Oops that damn bamboo poked me in the eye, so put something like old yoghurt cartons or similar on the top of the sticks as you put them in

Tony
Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered User

Location: Morecambe, Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by methusala View Post
Hi Ian,
If you like spring onions then get your self a packet of Welsh Onion seeds. Plant then in little groups of 10. Do this fortnightly till you have 3 bumches coming. Heres the magic part, when the forst bunch is ready for harvesting dig up the whole bunch, rip it in half and put half back in the hole. They will regrow and bunch again. These onions will grow all the year round in a corner of the greenhouse and last forever. Hence the common name Everlasting onions. I replace 1 bunch completely every 3 years as they tend to run to seed about that time.

Tony
Interesting stuff Tony thanks! I have actually planted some Spring Onion seeds in 2 batches so far of 12 each spaced 2 weeks apart and I am about to do the third, how uncanny is that??! I am not sure what variety though. These are currently in small seed plug trays so ened planting on. What size of container would you recommend?

Ian
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
Interesting stuff Tony thanks! I have actually planted some Spring Onion seeds in 2 batches so far of 12 each spaced 2 weeks apart and I am about to do the third, how uncanny is that??! I am not sure what variety though. These are currently in small seed plug trays so ened planting on. What size of container would you recommend?

Ian
Hi Ian,

Only the Welsh Onion has this everlasting property most other spring onions are havested and gone I start my new lot from seed in a 3 inch pot and plant the whole clump when they are about 4 inches tall. Don't disturb the root ball just tip it out into a dibbed hole and water in well.

My greenhouse is polycarb and 16 feet by 7 feet, plenty of room for the folding arm chair. I love it LOL

Tony
Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Registered User

Hi Ian

As you are using a small size greenhouse you will need to be careful with some bedding plants such as Salvias as these do not grow well in close proximity to tomatoes however marigolds are reccomended for companion planting as they deter greenfly, all the best Ian any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me

Kathryn
www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:

My question now is, what can I do with it this year? It is a 6'x6' and is in a position such that one side i partially shaded whilst the other side gets the sun for most of the day.
I hope to sow bedding plants for the garden in readiness for early planting next year but for now I would be happy for any tips. In fact, I would be happy for any tips at all to help me get the most out of the greenhouse.

Many thanks
You could try some salad stuff now, you can use bubble wrap to keep trays warm if needed.

New bamboo owner Amberinauburn Bamboo 2 18-12-2003 01:27 AM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds (alternative) 3 15-08-2003 05:05 AM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds 3 12-08-2003 02:48 PM
New home owner needs tips or advice on taking care of grass. Please Help!!! TIA!! Daniel Lawns 0 26-06-2003 07:56 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM