Old 26-03-2004, 12:38 AM
nambucca

Default Composting

"Natalie" wrote in message
s.com...
Rick McGreal wrote:
*Does anyone have a URL for a website that has info on home
composting?

I have been composting my own stuff since I mved into my new house
last
July

There was a LOT of biomass to be dumped and since then there has been
all
sorts a=of kitchen scraps in there aswell....But it simply isn;t
breaking
down....I would have thought that by now I woudl have something I
could use
on the garden....But none of it is...

I really think that it hasn't worked right because I have done
something
wrong...
I didn't have any heat in it over the winter either....

Can anyone help me?

(Also....Can I put ANYTHING in a comport heap/bin? *

--
Natalie

Grass cuttings tend to be the fastest heat producer and if you started the
heap in july i am surprised its gone nowhere
Personally I have 7 huge bins made out of solid sided pallets stood on a bed
of bricks ......i put layers of grass clippings, shredded prunings , straw,
stable manure , veggie peelings, fallen apples , weeds, leaves, shredded
paper , cardboard plus lashings of buckets of urine

Cover with plastic then old piece of carpet and a wooden lid and leave for 6
weeks
Then i fork the whole lot out into another bin sprinkling some Sulphate of
Ammonia on the layers as i go .........cover again and leave for 3 months
I then fork it all out again for final time and if not many worms are
working i put in a shovel full out of my worm bin
cover again as above and leave till the next spring when i have beautiful
fine compost

Compost needs warmth from sun in preference to a dark dank shady corner ,
moisture and turning/mixing