Old 27-06-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gooseberry cutting

I've been given a hardwood cutting and don't know what to do with it. I've
stuck it in the edge of an unglazed clay pot in potting compost but have no
idea if that was right or if it will strike.

Not that I need a gooseberry bush but it would have been churlish to refuse

Mary

Old 28-06-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've been given a hardwood cutting and don't know what to do with it. I've
stuck it in the edge of an unglazed clay pot in potting compost but have no
idea if that was right or if it will strike.

Not that I need a gooseberry bush but it would have been churlish to refuse

In my experience it's impossible to stop gooseberry cuttings from
striking, whatever you stick them in and whether they are woody or soft.

While we're on the subject, the last time gooseberries were being
discussed you said your bush(es) didn't grow downwards like everbody
else's but were quite vertical. Did I get that right? So I'm wondering
if you know what variety you have?

Brian Mitchell
Old 28-06-2008, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I've been given a hardwood cutting and don't know what to do with it. I've
stuck it in the edge of an unglazed clay pot in potting compost but have
no idea if that was right or if it will strike.

Not that I need a gooseberry bush but it would have been churlish to
refuse ...

Mary

We put them in the open ground

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 28-06-2008, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes
We put them in the open ground

Same here i just shove a few in the ground alongside the plants
themselves.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-06-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I've been given a hardwood cutting and don't know what to do with it.
I've
stuck it in the edge of an unglazed clay pot in potting compost but have
no
idea if that was right or if it will strike.

Not that I need a gooseberry bush but it would have been churlish to
refuse

In my experience it's impossible to stop gooseberry cuttings from
striking, whatever you stick them in and whether they are woody or soft.

Thanks. I think :-)

While we're on the subject, the last time gooseberries were being
discussed you said your bush(es) didn't grow downwards like everbody
else's but were quite vertical. Did I get that right? So I'm wondering
if you know what variety you have?

I don't remember that but I went to look and while the bush isn't vertical
the branches certainly don't grow downwards or even horizontally. I can send
a picture if you like.

No idea what variety it is, we bought it many years ago. The word 'Careless'
comes to mind but don't hold me to it! The fruit are green, not suitable for
eating raw.

Mary