Old 28-06-2008, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default need a plant ID please

"Granity" wrote in message

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

It is Acanthus also known as Bears Breeches, one of my favorites, I have a
huge bed of them and they are very easy to grow from seed.

Kate

Old 28-06-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/6/08 15:11, in article , "Granity"
wrote:

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

Looks like Acanthus mollis. It's a very handsome plant and is the leaf you
often see in classical carvings on pillars and pediments. Unfortunately, it
seems rather prone to mildew round here.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture008.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture009.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture010.jpg
Old 28-06-2008, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

Looks like Acanthus mollis. It's a very handsome plant and is the leaf you
often see in classical carvings on pillars and pediments. Unfortunately, it
seems rather prone to mildew round here.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild tweaking
to do!)

Would it survive the Winter here in France Sacha?

Judith
Old 28-06-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/6/08 16:14, in article
, "Judith in

wrote:

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

Looks like Acanthus mollis. It's a very handsome plant and is the leaf you
often see in classical carvings on pillars and pediments. Unfortunately, it
seems rather prone to mildew round here.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild tweaking
to do!)

Would it survive the Winter here in France Sacha?

Judith

It's hardy in UK and in USA the info I found says it will grow in zone 7
which is 0-5F or -15Cin winter. What are your minimum average winter temps?
OTOH, it does like a bit of shade in hot climates in summer and I think your
summers are very hot?

Old 28-06-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Kate
Morgan writes

It is Acanthus also known as Bears Breeches, one of my favorites, I
have a huge bed of them and they are very easy to grow from seed.

Kate

They aren't usually white are they?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-06-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/6/08 19:50, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Kate
Morgan writes

It is Acanthus also known as Bears Breeches, one of my favorites, I
have a huge bed of them and they are very easy to grow from seed.

Kate

They aren't usually white are they?

I don't know about 'usual' but I think there is a white form.

Old 28-06-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It is Acanthus also known as Bears Breeches, one of my favorites, I
have a huge bed of them and they are very easy to grow from seed.

Kate

They aren't usually white are they?

I don't know about 'usual' but I think there is a white form.

Sacha is right there is a white form, mine are pale purply and light - but
not white - when they open up

kate

Old 28-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Sacha[_3_
;

wrote:

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

Looks like Acanthus mollis. It's a very handsome plant and is the leaf you
often see in classical carvings on pillars and pediments. Unfortunately, it
seems rather prone to mildew round here.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild tweaking
to do!)[/i][/color]
Thanks very much Sacha, much appreaciated.
Old 29-06-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 13ce3e99-1463-4782-9187-
,
says...

wrote:

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

Looks like Acanthus mollis. It's a very handsome plant and is the leaf you
often see in classical carvings on pillars and pediments. Unfortunately, it
seems rather prone to mildew round here.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild tweaking
to do!)

Would it survive the Winter here in France Sacha?

Judith

In my experience only thermo nucular explosions have any lasting effect!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-06-2008, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

this was growing in the garden at the cottage that I stayed at in
Cornwall last week, the owner didn't know what it was called, the
flowers are white when they come out. Thanks in advanced

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ort

http://tinyurl.com/4dk689

http://tinyurl.com/3wfb5q

Looks like Acanthus mollis. It's a very handsome plant and is the leaf you
often see in classical carvings on pillars and pediments. Unfortunately, it
seems rather prone to mildew round here.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild tweaking
to do!)

Would it survive the Winter here in France Sacha?

Judith

In my experience only thermo nucular explosions have any lasting effect!

;-)) I must admit we have one that has survived a hedge being dug up,
pillars being installed and concreted into place, dogs and humans walking
over it and finally only being finished off because it was mown over too
many times!

Old 29-06-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 28, 4:30 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/6/08 16:14, in article
, "Judith in

wrote:

[...]

As you know we get steep dips here in this part of the Auvergne as we
are at altitude, maybe I will just try it and see. Last Autumn I
brought perennial geraniums, Winter hard in cold and windy Norfolk but
they did not survive here, I really miss that lovely mauve colour.
Yes, the summer can be very hot but last year wasn't, it was dreadful.

Judith
Old 29-06-2008, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

LOL thank you Charlie, I will give them a go, I will try anything -
once.

Judith
Old 29-06-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You'll never get rid of it! I tried as it takes up an awful lot of room
in no time