Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Default Wisteria

Has anybody got any idea why a wisteria should just die,I look after 2 wisterias in this garden,one is in well establiished and flowered the best this year in living memory.The one that has died is about 7 years old,it did flower this year then suddenly the leaves started to wilt and they are now dropping off.Any advise as we don't want to lose the older plant.
Thanks
renedrag
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

renedrag wrote:
Has anybody got any idea why a wisteria should just die,I look after 2
wisterias in this garden,one is in well establiished and flowered the
best this year in living memory.The one that has died is about 7 years
old,it did flower this year then suddenly the leaves started to wilt
and they are now dropping off.Any advise as we don't want to lose the
older plant.
Thanks
renedrag

I believe the consensus is drowning. Of the 3 I had growing here, one on
a south wall and 2 on an east wall, only one has survived last year's
deluge.
The southern one, an 'alba' of about 7 years, started to bud out and
then died.
On the east wall I had some digging for a water problem, was concerned about
the one that had some roots disturbed, but it was the other that died. Same
as the alba, but this one was 15 years old.

Shame really. Mine were relatively well drained being against walls, but I
guess the water just had no where to go.

-E

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Shelly Hurd Bonsai 0 14-03-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM