Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Echium candicans (syn. E. fastuosum)

I've just bought a couple of these (I was intending to grow some from
seed but Crocus had decent-sized plants discounted to £3.50 each and I
couldn't resist) and would be grateful for some advice as to whether I
can treat them as hardy in my London garden. One problem is that my
soil is fairly heavy clay (though regularly amended with lots of
organic matter). I was thinking of planting them in my front garden,
which is south-facing, enclosed, sloping and with reasonable drainage
which I could further improve by adding extra grit. But would they
stand a good chance of surviving the winter?

I understand also that this Echium is fairly easy to root from
cuttings - any advice? Could I take cuttings now to overwinter in the
greenhouse?

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with this
plant. Thanks in advance.