Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Echium candicans (syn. E. fastuosum)

I've just bought a couple of these (I was intending to grow some from
seed but Crocus had decent-sized plants discounted to £3.50 each and I
couldn't resist) and would be grateful for some advice as to whether I
can treat them as hardy in my London garden. One problem is that my
soil is fairly heavy clay (though regularly amended with lots of
organic matter). I was thinking of planting them in my front garden,
which is south-facing, enclosed, sloping and with reasonable drainage
which I could further improve by adding extra grit. But would they
stand a good chance of surviving the winter?

I understand also that this Echium is fairly easy to root from
cuttings - any advice? Could I take cuttings now to overwinter in the
greenhouse?

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with this
plant. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/7/08 18:29, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 04:11:14 -0700 (PDT), Ornata
wrote:

I've just bought a couple of these (I was intending to grow some from
seed but Crocus had decent-sized plants discounted to £3.50 each and I
couldn't resist) and would be grateful for some advice as to whether I
can treat them as hardy in my London garden. One problem is that my
soil is fairly heavy clay (though regularly amended with lots of
organic matter). I was thinking of planting them in my front garden,
which is south-facing, enclosed, sloping and with reasonable drainage
which I could further improve by adding extra grit. But would they
stand a good chance of surviving the winter?

I understand also that this Echium is fairly easy to root from
cuttings - any advice? Could I take cuttings now to overwinter in the
greenhouse?

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with this
plant. Thanks in advance.

My reply to a similar post a few week ago:

"I usually grow one or two in the garden, as well as E. pininana,
which is hardier. But as you will see from my sig, I'm in the far
south west of Cornwall, overlooking the sea, and the climate is very
mild.

snip
For the first time this year, we have managed to get E.piniana though the
winter. We think it's because they had some shelter from other plants and
trees and were planted in a sloping well-drained border. They've just
flowered and we hope they're going to set seed and have babies all around
them.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:
[...]

E. fastuosum (aka E. candicans) is reasonably tolerant of salt winds,
but is not hardy, and an overnight frost of lower than about -2C will
seriously damage or even kill it. I find that the flower buds, which
start to develop in late Feb or early March down here, often get
killed back by a late frost. But they're so spectacular when they
flower well that it's worth persisting with them. They like rich well
drained soil and plenty of sunshine in summer. They are fast growing
given the right soil conditions, and will reach 4 or 5 feet high, 6 to
8 feet across in three seasons. They don't like root disturbance, so
if you're going to plant it in the soil, do it while it's small and
don't try to transplant it subsequently. If you have winter frosts, I
suppose you could grow it in a tub or large pot and take it into a
greenhouse or conservatory over winter, but you won't see it at its
best as it likes a good root-run.

Gets leggy and untidy after three years or so and is best replaced, as
it won't tolerate cutting back. Comes fairly easily from cuttings or
seed, although you can't be sure to reproduce the colour with the
latter. But who knows, you might even improve it! E. pininana can be a
pest. I get seedlings coming up wherever I spread my compost! Mike
Nelhams on Tresco regards it as a weed.

The one I have at the moment is just coming to the end of it's
flowering period. I will let it send out some new growth, and take
semi-soft cuttings probably in July, and then heave it out as it's
past its best."

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

E-mail: christopher[dot]hogg[at]virgin[dot]net- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for reposting this.