Old 13-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Mark Fawcett

Default Echium Pininana

Hi
I fairly sure Im being far to optimistic but Im growing Echium p. Ive
got several plants in a south facing bed thats fairly sheltered plus a
load more in pots in a polytunnel. Im in NE Wales, on the side of a
hill so while I get bad frosts the worst thing is wind and rain. Has
anybody else grown them outside this far north and can you lag them
(the way I do my Musas)?

I have several options for the plants overwinter - outside, a garage
(unheated) on the side of the house, the aforementioned polytunnel
(again unheated) and a brick shed that I can provide minimal warmth
in.

Im also trying other exotics - cannas, hedychiums etc and also various
bananas from seed - very slow and frustrating!

thanks

Mark
Old 14-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Natalie

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I fairly sure Im being far to optimistic but Im growing Echium p. Ive
got several plants in a south facing bed thats fairly sheltered plus a
load more in pots in a polytunnel. Im in NE Wales, on the side of a
hill so while I get bad frosts the worst thing is wind and rain. Has
anybody else grown them outside this far north and can you lag them
(the way I do my Musas)?

I have several options for the plants overwinter - outside, a garage
(unheated) on the side of the house, the aforementioned polytunnel
(again unheated) and a brick shed that I can provide minimal warmth
in.

Im also trying other exotics - cannas, hedychiums etc and also various
bananas from seed - very slow and frustrating!

thanks

Mark

At the Chelsea Physic Garden they lightly lag their Echium Pininana with
fleece...maybe you could try lagging more heavily ;-)

Pot growing them is not really a viable option as they grow so big. You
could try growing Echium Wildpretti or Echium Candicans in pots as they are
smaller plants and I have seen both grown like this.

HTH

Natalie