Old 14-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spares2you View Post
So, you guys are saying that £120 is all right for a garden vacuum?
You should be able to get a decent electric blower for £120 although it is always best to buy a recognised brand. It is often difficult to choose the right blower for your needs as there are so many on the market nowadays. A blower vacuum with a mulching blade is a good choice for general garden use although you must be careful not to pick up any stones that will damage the blade; it is best to blow the leaves into a corner first, thus removing any stones from the pile. Also, try to collect the leaves before they are wet and squashed as very few vacuums will pick them up after this stage.
Old 15-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela[_3_] View Post
I have just moved to a new house which has lots of trees . It is clear I am
going to need to invest in a garden vacuum/blower, but I have no idea what
to look for except I want an electric one.

I read a couple of reviews about the black and decker one which said that
the bag fit badly and blew dust out. Apart from that I haven't found any
reviews, so if anyone has any personal recommendations I would appreciate
it.

TIA

Angela
Hello! May I make a suggestion re your new garden? It will be a nightmare mowing it with all those trees that you mention. Why not think about installing an automatic lawn mowing system? This is what I have got as I have an orchard which is mown as well as lawns. These automatic lawnmowers are set up as a one-off, by a trained technician if that is preferable to doing it yourself. After that there is no human input.
These automatic mowers use no fossil fuels having long lasting lithium ion batteries charged by electricity.
The mower cuts all the lawn, even in winter if it is dry enough. The trees will be no problem as the mower bumps into them and goes off in another direction. It is also capable of chopping up twigs the size of a little finger so the leaves would be chopped up too and provide nutrients to fertilise the lawn during the winter. The grass clippings are so small that they also fall back into the lawn to provide nutrients. My lawns are reclaimed fields and therefore bumpy. I used to use a ride-on mulcher but that was wide and scalped the tops of the bumps and left darker patches of long grass growing in the dips - the lawn never looked good. Now it looks level and a uniform green, like velvet in spite of the bumps!
An automatic lawnmowing system would solve all your problems in one it seems to me - make a leaf blower redundant, save frustration mowing around trees, no petrol to fetch and store and being so light can keep the lawn cut during the winter. My automatic system has quickly paid for itself and I have more time for tending my plants.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W View Post
You should be able to get a decent electric blower for £120 although it is always best to buy a recognised brand. It is often difficult to choose the right blower for your needs as there are so many on the market nowadays. A blower vacuum with a mulching blade is a good choice for general garden use although you must be careful not to pick up any stones that will damage the blade; it is best to blow the leaves into a corner first, thus removing any stones from the pile. Also, try to collect the leaves before they are wet and squashed as very few vacuums will pick them up after this stage.
Thank you for being that informative
miele spares

Electric vacuum/blower? Broadback[_3_] United Kingdom 1 21-11-2014 07:08 PM
Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) Bob LeChevalier Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:42 PM
Which rights for which animals? (was: problem with this newsgroup) pearl Ponds 0 25-12-2007 06:57 PM
Leaf Blower,...Which one? john Lawns 5 27-11-2005 10:32 AM
leaf blower/vacuum DAVID ALLEN Lawns 5 27-09-2003 06:43 AM