Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Devon ahoy

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

How short memories are!

Remember dry reservoirs? Rivers down to trickles? Streams dried-up?

How long is it since there was a scare that we were becoming an arid region?

In 1996, I took my lady friend for a walk on the empty but muddy bed of
Derwent Reservoir in Derbyshire, of Dam Busters fame.

I scratched our names and a short love token on the green glazed tiles
of the ruined Derwent Hall. It blew her mind, especially the
thought of our secret as the dam filled up.
She still remembers stuff like that, though we parted 11 year ago.

To get back on topic, I wonder what the soil on the bottom would be like
for growing stuff, fertile or barren?
If it had stayed empty, grass at least would grow there.
--
Gordon H
Old 12-07-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 5:03�pm, Sacha wrote:
On 9/7/08 20:48, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

You've got it too? �;-( � The wind hasn't been strong here today but it's
getting up now and the rain is still doing what it does best - falling
relentlessly out of the sky. �Truly, I believe this country can only make a
fortune if it cuts taxes to 10% and bribes everyone to move here. �Nobody
would come for the climate!

How short memories are!

Remember dry reservoirs? Rivers down to trickles? Streams dried-up?

How long is it since there was a scare that we were becoming an arid region?

Not in these parts! �Even when they were banning the use of hosepipes 'up
country', our reservoirs were about 90% full. �There's a reason Devon's so
green!! �;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Pah, you think it's wet down there, try Princetown. )

Sacha, going O/T. I used to have a pub in Princetown and always
enjoyed our flying visits to your fine establishment to pick up
various (usually) hardy plants to fill our summer planters, the wife
and I even managed to enjoy an occassional summer cream tea out on the
lawn, in the company of your very friendly sparrows (or whatever they
were?). What a great place for you to live and work, definately the
good life.

Wood Chips Ahoy j[_2_] Gardening 3 15-07-2011 03:04 AM
Delivered Manure in Plymouth, Devon? Serendipity United Kingdom 5 19-10-2003 09:03 AM
A.R.T. Tour, Dartington, Devon. Sun 22nd June 2003 Jim W United Kingdom 3 22-06-2003 01:08 PM
Frost in S. Devon sacha United Kingdom 21 08-01-2003 08:10 PM
Limp Broad Beans(was Frost in S. Devon) Steve Harris United Kingdom 5 08-01-2003 12:10 PM