Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato blight test

I've just been listening to last Sunday's GQT.
One item mentioned a test for pototo/tomato plants with suspected
blight. There is a link on the GQT website, but when I click it it
brings up an error, "page not found".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/
Is it my computer or their link?
Does it work for anyone else.

I think I've seen enough blight on my tomatoes over the last 7 years
and can recognise it but am curious to see what the link brings up.

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I've just been listening to last Sunday's GQT.
One item mentioned a test for pototo/tomato plants with suspected
blight. There is a link on the GQT website, but when I click it it
brings up an error, "page not found".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/
Is it my computer or their link?
Does it work for anyone else.

I think I've seen enough blight on my tomatoes over the last 7 years
and can recognise it but am curious to see what the link brings up.

Pam in Bristol

Is it not better to anticipate it by signing up to:
http://blight.potato.org.uk/signup.html

You will get a warning about Smith periods, and an additional warning if
potato/tomato blight is prevalent in your area.

In that case you can take preventative action.

John

Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:30:50 +0100, "John E"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
I've just been listening to last Sunday's GQT.
One item mentioned a test for pototo/tomato plants with suspected
blight. There is a link on the GQT website, but when I click it it
brings up an error, "page not found".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/
Is it my computer or their link?
Does it work for anyone else.

I think I've seen enough blight on my tomatoes over the last 7 years
and can recognise it but am curious to see what the link brings up.

Pam in Bristol

Is it not better to anticipate it by signing up to:
http://blight.potato.org.uk/signup.html

You will get a warning about Smith periods, and an additional warning if
potato/tomato blight is prevalent in your area.

In that case you can take preventative action.

John

I've already signed up, but am curious about this test.
"Preventative action"! What preventative action? Short of covering
the whole plot with a plythene tent there's not much you can do.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:30:08 +0100, Jennifer Sparkes
wrote:

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

I've just been listening to last Sunday's GQT.
One item mentioned a test for pototo/tomato plants with suspected

Snip

Pam it refers you to:-

http://www.pocketcheck.co.uk/

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer. Thanks. Don't know why it wouldn't work for me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:30:50 +0100, "John E"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Spray with a suitable fungicide. Covering is unlikely to help as the late
blight spores are already present in the crop and are triggered to germinate
by temperature and humidity.

Old 18-07-2008, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've already signed up, but am curious about this test.
"Preventative action"! What preventative action? Short of covering
the whole plot with a plythene tent there's not much you can do.

Spray with a suitable fungicide. Covering is unlikely to help as the late
blight spores are already present in the crop and are triggered to germinate
by temperature and humidity.

A suitable fungicide is Dithane 945. I get mine from Wilkinsons. Over
the past few years I have seen it retard late blight's hold on the
crop.

Late blight is now constantly with us and is wind bourne.
Preventative measure also include spacing plants apart to aid wind
flow and thus quicker drying of the leaves. Blight need wet leaves to
infect. Above all, no watering from above, only at the base of the
plant. Removal of infected leaves helps, as does lower soil touching
leaves if it's wet. But as wind bourne, other parts of the plant can
be infected if the weather is suitable. Covering the plants only aids
humidiity, which benefits the fungus. Unless you have many plants
infected with brown patches up and down them, fungicide is the best
bet by far. If one plant is more badly infected than others, it's
worth removing that plant. If the weather stays dry, infection rate of
healthy plant tissue will be prevented.

Fungicide + praying is the best solution

Old 18-07-2008, 05:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:12:20 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I've just been listening to last Sunday's GQT.
One item mentioned a test for pototo/tomato plants with suspected
blight. There is a link on the GQT website, but when I click it it
brings up an error, "page not found".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/
Is it my computer or their link?
Does it work for anyone else.

I think I've seen enough blight on my tomatoes over the last 7 years
and can recognise it but am curious to see what the link brings up.

Pam in Bristol

look here instead, don't waste your money. Spend it on solutions if
you need to.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html

Btw if you have tobacco mosaic virus, dump the plant. Any plant
showing those symptoms is a gonna, and you don't need £8 worth of kit
to pronounce it's death certifcate. It's too late. The only other
thing that looks like TMV is herbicide damage. But the plant's still a
gonna, so what good does that do you? An expensive ' solution' that
doesn't solve any problems, as it tells you the bleedin' obvious.

Strictly for those new to gardening, and more money than sense.