Old 23-07-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New web site - finally....

On Jul 23, 5:22 pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.

And because it is a business site then it needs to work effectively
across all common web browsers otherwise you cut off a lot of potential
trade.

This isn't the place to discusses the technicalities of web page design
and I'm not going there. But if I spent money to people to build this
website, then I would wont a refund!

However, I'd rather talk about how runner beans and early potatoes are
doing this year!

LOL!!

Ed

My runner beans are not doing well how are yours. BTW I still think
it is an ace site and if I wanted to order something, as a potential
customer, I found it easy.

Judith
Old 23-07-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/7/08 17:52, in article
net, "Ed" ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.

It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

But for some inexplicable reason, Sacha has not yet put up the site for
critique as I advised.

I am amazed that has not been done without delay cos they are loosing
customers.

Ed

What a strange thing to say. How do you know we're losing customers? In
fact, we've had quite a few!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ed
writes

I am amazed that has not been done without delay cos they are loosing
customers.

Ed

I'm sure they are not Ed, most customers who seek out their site at the
moment are probably aware of how good the Nursery is and are looking at
the web pages to find out information, it's not the same situation as an
open advert 'coming to them'

I think accessibility is possibly an issue but have emailed Sacha with
my own minor comments. As you see, this forum is not the place to
discuss validation certificates or accessibility.

To answer another poster, accessibility isn't about the browser
necessarily but about contrast of colours for reading or for screen
readers or for page resolution.

Tom has had to make the maps on his Diplomacy site accessible for
players that are blind etc. and colours have to be recognised by a lot
of different types of screen so can't be 'unofficial' but as Sacha says,
this is early days and it'd a question of getting it online before
tweaking and minimising the script behind the design.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-07-2008, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/08 13:35, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Ed
writes

[...]

Good explanations, Janet. ;-) Yes, accessibility has been raised in emails
from two expert web designers so it's certainly something we're looking at.
Work is going on as I write and more will be done later - watch this space!
And no, we're not losing customers - in fact, we've had several orders
already which is very heartening at such an early stage. At present the
plan is to keep the photographic bits to our more rare and unusual plants
and then add a Plant List that is not illustrated, of other things we think
people might like to know about. Festina lente is the motto at present!

Old 25-07-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Ed
writes

I am amazed that has not been done without delay cos they are loosing
customers.

Ed

I'm sure they are not Ed, most customers who seek out their site at the
moment are probably aware of how good the Nursery is and are looking at
the web pages to find out information, it's not the same situation as an
open advert 'coming to them'

I think accessibility is possibly an issue but have emailed Sacha with my
own minor comments. As you see, this forum is not the place to discuss
validation certificates or accessibility.

To answer another poster, accessibility isn't about the browser
necessarily but about contrast of colours for reading or for screen
readers or for page resolution.

There is far more to website accessibility than that!

Old 23-07-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 23/07/08 17:56, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:52:54 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:

Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.
It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

Are you trolling? It looks to me as if you are knocking her new website without
any justification.

No, no , I not no troll.. I want the business to succeed to the maximum.

Let's just see what a critical review of the site will reveal as I
suggested earlier. But I fear they wont do it. Sacha has not replied at
all!

How is ur runners doing btw?

Ed

Old 23-07-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:

Morgan" wrote:

[...]

She doesn't need a critique my sweetie, her husband's business is
doing superb and any more maximum is just not possible. Order
something dear heart, insert your details, you will be pleasantly
surprised how easy it is to use.

Judith
Old 24-07-2008, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:03:29 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

No, no , I not no troll.. I want the business to succeed to the maximum.

Let's just see what a critical review of the site will reveal as I
suggested earlier. But I fear they wont do it. Sacha has not replied at
all!

Why on earth does she need to 'submit it to critical review'?
It works perfectly well for me, and for everyone else on here using
all the popular web browsers.
If you are the only one having problems with it I suggest you submit
your own judgment to 'critical review'.
Old 23-07-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.

It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

Are you trolling? It looks to me as if you are knocking her new website
without
any justification.

Let's just say this is not a person who I would take advice from on
anything! Trouble making seems to be on the agenda, not gardening or web
sites!

Old 23-07-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 6:08 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 17:56, in article ,

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

[...]

Aaah, I have just caught on - duh I was a bit slow today Sacha.

Judith
Old 23-07-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/7/08 20:31, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 23, 6:08 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 17:56, in article ,

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

[...]

Don't worry about it! We know it needs some work, that's why the comments
have - mostly - been welcome. It's always a good idea to see what others
think of a site, what thorny bits they discover etc. But trying to set
someone up for a flame war isn't helpful to anyone and it is certainly not
'help' that anyone needs, IMO.