Old 22-07-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 22:44, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 19:07, in article ,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Looks good - but... I see you're using something called RapidWeaver which
haven't heard of before (I don't use a Mac) and if that's the code it
generates I'm not impressed. Why all the JavaScript? What happens if I
turn
it off - not a lot - I can't see the Flash slideshow but not much else as
far as I can see. Why is the text all PNGs? That is not at all accessible
which in this day and age is a big black mark! Sorry to put a dampener on
things :-(

Not a dampener at all. I'm happy to pass this on to the guru.

Thanks, Sacha. I know this is strictly speaking off-topic but I'd be
interested in his/her comments.

I can email you with them if I have his permission to do so. I don't think
I'd be comfortable to do that unless he wanted to throw it open to
discussion. I should probably say at this point - and should have done so
before - that part of the reason for using RapidWeaver is that it's easy for
the amateurs to use, too. We don't want something that I have to call him
in for every time I want to change a photo or update some text. This is a
new venture and small beginnings for us. If it develops and gets bigger we
have always agreed that we might look at other methods and programs. I've
sent your comments on and I'm genuinely grateful for them.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-07-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 22/7/08 15:04, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Congratulations Sacha (and family).

Question about the Wedding Cake tree. I list this in my plant list as
Cornus controversa 'Variegata',
as does the old RHS reference I have. You list it as C. alternifolia
'Variegata', under the Pagoda Dogwood
rather than the Giant Dogwood.

I have a C. alternifolia 'Winter Orange' that was sold to me under the
name C. controversa, then the nursery
changed the name in their catalog to go along with the prevailing usage.

I wonder if the Wedding Cake tree has gone through a similar
reclassification, and I should maybe change
it in my garden records... I also grow C. alternifolia 'Argentia'
(which is slower growing than controversa),
but it is clearly a different (and finer leaved) plant. But both lovely
in their own way.

cheers,

-E

We've seen both called the wedding cake tree so it's anyone's guess which is
truly which. We're certainly open to correction!

Verified that at least to the RHS Horticultural Database, C. controversa
'Variegata'
(which it looks to me is what you've got, although hard to be sure from
the pic) is
called the Wedding Cake Tree. This would also explain the faster than
expected
growth.

For C. alternifolia 'Variegata' they list this as synonymous with
'Argentea', with
a common name of "Silver Pagoda Dogwood." I think this finer leaved
(and slower
growing, reputed difficult although I've had no problems) plant is not
what you've
got in the picture.

Just one opinion, worth no more or less than the paper it's printed on!

cheers,

-E
Old 23-07-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 22:44, in article
,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/08 19:07, in article
,
"gavin" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I fully understand and respect that, Sacha. Whatever tool people use to get
the job done fine as far as I'm concerned - with a couple of provisos.
Firstly the code should validate - however, I understand that most graphical
editors don't generate "clean" code. But far more important than that are
accessibility issues. I truly believe that all web designers/webmasters
(call us what you will) have a huge moral responsibility in this area. I'll
get off my soap box now :-)

Old 23-07-2008, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/7/08 00:01, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 22/7/08 15:04, in article
, "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

It's all worth something, Emery. I'll try to remember to take a close up
and put it on here. Life is a bit full at present but I will try to get to
that. We're absolutely open to information and opinion because this isn't
one we grew ourselves.

Old 23-07-2008, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Your site needs some serious work to make it generally usable.

You will get a lot of good advice if you ask the guys over at the
alt.html.critique newsgroup.

Old 23-07-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 8:56 am, Ed ex@directory wrote:
On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:

It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Your site needs some serious work to make it generally usable.

You will get a lot of good advice if you ask the guys over at the
alt.html.critique newsgroup.

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
Old 23-07-2008, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith

and so say all of us Sacha friends and family, great site and very
tempting. I cant have any more plants as we are hoping to be moving to
Scotland as soon as we sell this one - anyone want a house in sunny
Gloucestershire ? - however I will be picking your brains as and when we get
to where we are going :-)

kate

Old 23-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered User

we have just completed our web site as well, and i can fully agree that it has been responsible for many headaches this end!!! I have looked at your site and it is good our site is www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

All the best with your business

Kathryn

Carreglefn Nurseries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post

Old 23-07-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 21/07/08 19:40, Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Why have you not put the site up for review at:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

I hope you have not spent money on this. As it is, I would get a
refund. Your loosing business!!

Ed

Old 23-07-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 23/07/08 17:56, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:52:54 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 17:45, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:22:18 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 23/07/08 16:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/7/08 15:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:30:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 23/7/08 11:52, in article
net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip

Ed, how so as I found it easy to navigate and easy to use? I thought
it was a superb and professional piece of work.

Judith
I strongly urge Sacha to submit the site for critical review at both:

alt.html
alt.html.critique

It will be interesting to see the results if they dare do that!!!

The site does not work under my pc configuration. Other potential
customers will find the same.
It works for me with WinXP SP3 and the current versions of Firefox IE7 and
Opera.

Maybe you should post your PC configuration?

No, no. this is not an IT site. We talk gardening here.

Are you trolling? It looks to me as if you are knocking her new website without
any justification.

No, no , I not no troll.. I want the business to succeed to the maximum.

Let's just see what a critical review of the site will reveal as I
suggested earlier. But I fear they wont do it. Sacha has not replied at
all!

How is ur runners doing btw?

Ed