Old 28-07-2008, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What should I plant here?

beccabunga wrote:
Muddymike;806662 Wrote:
Its too hot to do any more in the garden for a while so I thought I
would
seek advise from the wisdom of this forum.
I have just cleared this area of the garden.
http://tinyurl.com/59q7vs
I removed a bucket and a half of bulbs from here and want to plant two
or
three flowering shrubs. It looked awful before and as it is situated
right
outside the bedroom window of the holiday apartment we let I want it to
look
better.

This seems to like it here,
http://tinyurl.com/5nv3yb
so what else would do well and give colour all summer?

Four types of bulb removed. Third from the left are Bluebells but what
are
the others?
http://tinyurl.com/6j7q6a
I would like to re plant these in a clearing up in the woods, but the
area
does not get a lot of direct sunlight.

One other question. This Hebe
http://tinyurl.com/5gsmx3
Looks wonderful both when in flower and when not. Sadly it is now
covering
half the path and I would like to cut it back. How/when would be the
best
way to cut it back without spoiling its shape.

I have also just shot another walkround, will upload and post later if

anyone is interested.

Mike

Suggested shrubs for summer interest: Weigela Bristol Ruby [red flowers
and dark red leaves; a shrub rose with repeat flowering; Callicarpa -
purple flowers in summer, purple berries in winter.

The happy shrub is St John's Wort.

The Hebe is best cut back after flowering. The one in your photo will
take quite a lot of pruning.

Bulbs = third from left look like Hyacinth. The left hand ones might be
an allium.

How come the links Muddymike posted have suddenly morphed into "tinyurl"
links in your reply?!?!

I only noticed as I was looking for the link to the bulbs again as I
have a feeling I might recognise one or two.

I NEVER click on links that use "tinyurl". It's a scammers/phishers
paradise for disguising untrustworthy url's and you have no idea where
the link is going to take you until you've clicked on it and by then it
can be too late!

I'll track back and find his OP for the proper link.
Old 28-07-2008, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/7/08 09:09, in article , "Sandy"
wrote:

beccabunga wrote:
Muddymike;806662 Wrote:
[...]

I frequently use tinyurl and have never had a piece of spam from it and have
certainly never sent one. However, if it worries people I believe it has a
preview facility.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-07-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sandy" wrote in message
beccabunga wrote:
Muddymike;806662 Wrote:
[...]

I don't use them for the same reason, and believe they are only of value
when the link/url is very long. Here is the link to the bulbs again.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10535?sort=5

Mike Rogers
www.farend.org.uk

Old 28-07-2008, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

beccabunga writes

Muddymike;806662 Wrote:

Four types of bulb removed. Third from the left are Bluebells but what
are

Bulbs = third from left look like Hyacinth. The left hand ones might be
an allium.

There seems to be an emerging consensus that 3rd from left are not the
bluebells ;-)

--
Kay
Old 28-07-2008, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 7:38 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 18:58, in article
, "Judith

garden.http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10533?sort=5

here,http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10534?sort=5

the others?http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10535?sort=5

Hebehttp://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike.Garden/Muddymike.10531?sort=5
Looks wonderful both when in flower and when not. Sadly it is now covering
half the path and I would like to cut it back. How/when would be the best
way to cut it back without spoiling its shape.

I have also just shot another walkround, will upload and post later if
anyone is interested.

Mike

Mike I think the last one on the right is Crocosmia (spelling?). I
have just dug up a load of Crocosmia Lucifer and they look the same.

Judith

Well, I thought that but then I thought they'd be in flower now and he'd
know what they are. The other possibility is Gladiolus nanus, perhaps?
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I hadn't thought of that, mine are in flower but they have tripled
their number every year so I have dug a lot of them away from the back
as they were toppling over the front ones. As for gladioli, I know
nothing !

Judith

Old 28-07-2008, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote after
"Muddymike" wrote:

Four types of bulb removed. Third from the left are Bluebells but what
are
the others?
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10535?sort=5
I would like to re plant these in a clearing up in the woods, but the
area
does not get a lot of direct sunlight.

From the left: Allium, bluebells, daffodil and ?? something I don't
recognise.
The last ones are pretty small - could they be snowdrops or crocus?

(That's my guess, anyhow)

The last ones look just like the thousands of bulbs in a neighbours garden
I've been keeping tidy, an allium but I don't know which. Chive like
foliage in the early spring and white flowers on a stalk, not in a tight
head like a lot of alliums. Nearest I've found is Allium cowanii but I'm
not convinced.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I agree with Allium, bluebell and daffodil. The mystery bulbs I think may
be muscari.

Spider

Old 28-07-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Muddymike wrote:
Its too hot to do any more in the garden for a while so I thought I would
seek advise from the wisdom of this forum.
I have just cleared this area of the garden.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10533?sort=5
I removed a bucket and a half of bulbs from here and want to plant two or
three flowering shrubs. It looked awful before and as it is situated right
outside the bedroom window of the holiday apartment we let I want it to look
better.

[snip]

Mike

Mike,I know you want flowering shrubs and I can't help you there.
You say that it's hot and the area is outside the bedroom window
so the window should be open - what about a bit of fragrance?
I have in mind night scented stock. It is a plain annual which only
opens in the night but when it does the powerful fragrance is marvelous.
Whatever else you guests will remember their stay for, the fragrant
nights will be one of them is my guess.

Yours in gardening,
Sam
Old 31-07-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sam" wrote in message
om...
Muddymike wrote:
I have just cleared this area of the garden.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10533?sort=5
I removed a bucket and a half of bulbs from here and want to plant two or

- what about a bit of fragrance?
I have in mind night scented stock. It is a plain annual which only
opens in the night but when it does the powerful fragrance is marvelous.
Whatever else you guests will remember their stay for, the fragrant
nights will be one of them is my guess.

Thanks Sam
I like that idea, and thanks everyone else for the suggestions and bulb IDs.
Have not got back sooner as I have been working in Ireland for a few days
basking in lovely sunshine. Now back in N Yorks to torrential rain that is
destroying my roses :-(

Mike