Old 28-07-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Privet causing a "dead line"? (resending because first attempt not showing here)

In article ,
"Steve Turner" writes:
| Ed wrote:
|
| : Yes, privet is notoriously well known for starving the soil of
| : moisture and nutrients. It's no wonder plants near it are struggling.
|
| How near is "near"? I have a privet hedge on the other side of my fence.
| It's quite thick and about 9 feet tall, though only the top 4 or 5 feet is
| green, very thick and woody below that. The hedge is north of the fence and
| I have some young trees on the south side of the fence - about 3 feet away
| from the hedge.

For small plants trying to establish during a hot, dry spell, it can
easily be 6' from a hedge like that. Moderately established trees and
most larger shrubs can fight privet and win. Privet is very shallow
rooted - and its roots don't run all that far, either - but, where
they do, they dessicate the soil.

I can't help you much, except to say that your problems with it will
be over once those trees get established.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

: In article ,
: "Steve Turner" writes:
:::
:
: For small plants trying to establish during a hot, dry spell, it can
: easily be 6' from a hedge like that. Moderately established trees and
: most larger shrubs can fight privet and win. Privet is very shallow
: rooted - and its roots don't run all that far, either - but, where
: they do, they dessicate the soil.
:
: I can't help you much, except to say that your problems with it will
: be over once those trees get established.

Thanks Nick.

I measured it more accurately when I went out watering the plants and it's
about 4 or 5 feet to the trees and 6 to a couple of peonies (paeonies?) and
a hebe. I had a feeling the roots didn't run far because I don't rememeber
every finding one when digging.

--
Steve

Old 28-07-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Steve Turner" writes:

| I measured it more accurately when I went out watering the plants and it's
| about 4 or 5 feet to the trees and 6 to a couple of peonies (paeonies?) and
| a hebe. I had a feeling the roots didn't run far because I don't rememeber
| every finding one when digging.

You can dig between them - if you shove a spade down 12-18", then
you will have cut most of the privet's roots. I do that at the
edge of my vegetable garden (4' from an 8' high privet hedge).
It helps.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.