Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Orchids - But no flowers!

Help,
Have several plants of various types which have flowered well in the
past.
All I get now is good leaves bur no flowers.
What do I need to do to get flowers again?
Reg
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Reg Sweetmore" wrote,
Have several plants of various types which have flowered well in the
past.
All I get now is good leaves bur no flowers.
What do I need to do to get flowers again?

Which type of orchids Reg?
Some grow in tropical rainforest others grow on mountains and get covered in
snow, so it will make a difference.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Reg Sweetmore wrote:
Help,
Have several plants of various types which have flowered well in the
past.
All I get now is good leaves bur no flowers.
What do I need to do to get flowers again?

If you are talking about Phalaenopsis, then we have found that more
light (south facing window but nets) will start off the flowering process.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 8, 10:36*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Reg Sweetmore" wrote,

Have several plants of various types which have flowered well in the
past.
All I get now is good leaves bur no flowers.
What do I need to do to get flowers again?

Which type of orchids Reg?
Some grow in tropical rainforest others grow on mountains and get covered in
snow, so it will make a difference.

--
Regards

Bob ,
Thanks for your reply
They are Phalaenopsis.
Reg
Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 8, 10:46*pm, Paul Luton wrote:
Reg Sweetmore wrote:
Help,
Have several plants of various types which have flowered well in the
past.
All I get now is good leaves bur no flowers.
What do I need to do to get flowers again?

If you are talking about Phalaenopsis, then we have found that more
light (south facing window but nets) will start off the flowering process..

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Thanks Paul,
Will try your method.
Reg

Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Reg Sweetmore" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied:
"Reg Sweetmore" wrote,

Have several plants of various types which have flowered well in the
past.
All I get now is good leaves bur no flowers.
What do I need to do to get flowers again?

Which type of orchids Reg?
Some grow in tropical rainforest others grow on mountains and get covered
in
snow, so it will make a difference.

Thanks for your reply
They are Phalaenopsis.

Just been reading about how the show growers get so many flowers on theirs.
At the Tokyo Dome Orchid Show last Feb there was a Phalaenopsis Sogo
Yukidian "Pingtans King" (it's white) with three spikes and 91 flowers. I've
seen a photo of a P.Taisuco Swan "Royal Swan" with 63 flowers which looked
amazing.

Anyway, they grow them at 85°F for 2 years to get a huge plant with no
flowers they then drop the temp until a flower spike is initiated and then
return it up to 70°F until the flowers are open then drop the temp again so
the flowers spikes extend then raise back to 70°F until those flowers open
and then do it all again. Takes about 4 months. Of course, in these cases, a
great deal of care needs to be shown regarding humidity etc to avoid disease
and the marking of the older flowers.

So it's the lower temperature that initiates spike formation and flowering,
if they aren't flowering but are growing well you probably keep them too
warm and a drop in temp will initiate spikes forming.
We keep the top window constantly open (except winter) above our windowsill
Phals and they flower well, one has 27 flowers atm and two are growing nice
thick new spikes.

BTW you do know not to remove old flower spikes unless they go brown and
die, they usually extend and branch to grow new flowers. Only ever remove
any brown dead bits.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-08-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 4:53*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob,
I don't think I will attempt the Japanese method, it's rather
complicated, but will follow your advice.
Cheers,
Reg
Old 14-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Just read about how to show that the growers get so many flowers to them. Orchid Show at the Tokyo Dome last month, there is a Phalaenopsis Sogo Yukidian "Pingtans King " (its white) and 91 three spike flowers. I've seen pictures of sports, the small Mary Swan "Royal Swan"Flower 63 looks amazing.
Pond Kits