Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wilted sunflowers

Hi All, I went away for a couple of days and my mum forgot to water all my
plants... I think the worst to suffer was the lobelia and sunflowers...
I think the lobelia has literally had it and will probably be going on the
compost heap tomorrow, but I dont want my mini sunflowers to go the same way
as I wanted to save the seeds. All the leaves have wilted and the actual
petals are all limp and floppy, should they recover ok?

Thanks
Donna

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
Hi All, I went away for a couple of days and my mum forgot to water all my
plants... I think the worst to suffer was the lobelia and sunflowers...
I think the lobelia has literally had it and will probably be going on the
compost heap tomorrow, but I dont want my mini sunflowers to go the same way
as I wanted to save the seeds. All the leaves have wilted and the actual
petals are all limp and floppy, should they recover ok?

Probably.

General procedure for unwatered plants
1) water from top to wet soil, and to weight the pot down so it doesn't
float in step 2
2)stand in water for a few hours to soak the soil properly
3) make sure that plant is not in direct sun or in a hot place
(greenhouse, conservatory, porch) - this will cut down water loss from
leaves
4) spray the leaves with water (again to cut down water loss)
5) don't be tempted to feed the plant until it is back growing happily
and the soil is moist.

Even if you lose all the leaves and the current flowers, the plant may
re-shoot and produce new flowers, so don't throw it away too hastily.

Lobelia may be saveable, but it does have a tendency to turn into straw
if you don't water it for a couple of hours.
--
Kay
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Aug, 21:52, "Tony D" wrote:
"Donna Ludlow" wrote in message

Kent, even though we have had rain it has hardly done anything to the
soil! XD

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
ET...
In article ,
says...
Hi All, I went away for a couple of days and my mum forgot to water all
my
plants... *I think the worst to suffer was the lobelia and
sunflowers...
I think the lobelia has literally had it and will probably be going on
the
compost heap tomorrow, but I dont want my mini sunflowers to go the same
way
as I wanted to save the seeds. *All the leaves have wilted and the
actual
petals are all limp and floppy, should they recover ok?

Thanks
Donna

Where an earth do you live that anything needed water? we have been in
snorkle and flippers for weeks!
--
Thought my plants were going to wash away at one point !- Hide quoted text -

The lobelia will probably grow back from part way down, Follow the
instructions given above re soaking, and if the soil/compost is realy
dry then add a drop or two of washing up liquid to the water, this
works as a wetting agent and will help the water penetrate.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
In South Wales where we have now had just over 5inches of rain so far
this month