Old 14-08-2008, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| There is a smallish tree in the park just beyond my garden fence which
| bears a damson-like fruit some years. It's a darn nuisance because
| it drops them on my garden, and because small boys climb the tree and
| throw them at my house if they spot them
|
| I did try eating one, but it didn't taste like a plum, and the windfalls
| were all bruised.

What did they taste like? And what is the stone like?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2008, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| There is a smallish tree in the park just beyond my garden fence which
| bears a damson-like fruit some years. It's a darn nuisance because
| it drops them on my garden, and because small boys climb the tree and
| throw them at my house if they spot them
|
| I did try eating one, but it didn't taste like a plum, and the windfalls
| were all bruised.

What did they taste like? And what is the stone like?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It was some time since I tried a bite, but they have the slimmer oval
shape of damsons, and are smaller than most plums, deep purple in
colour. I will see if I can find one, but haven't noticed them this
year, sorry.
--
Gordon H
Old 15-08-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| It was some time since I tried a bite, but they have the slimmer oval
| shape of damsons, and are smaller than most plums, deep purple in
| colour. I will see if I can find one, but haven't noticed them this
| year, sorry.

Some damsons are round! Except for the damson/bullace, I don't know
of any plums with deep purple fruit that is 2 cm in diameter or more.
Unless there is a form of P. cerasifera that my books don't mention.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-08-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/8/08 10:48, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| It was some time since I tried a bite, but they have the slimmer oval
| shape of damsons, and are smaller than most plums, deep purple in
| colour. I will see if I can find one, but haven't noticed them this
| year, sorry.

Some damsons are round! Except for the damson/bullace, I don't know
of any plums with deep purple fruit that is 2 cm in diameter or more.
Unless there is a form of P. cerasifera that my books don't mention.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I found this re damsons. To me plums aren't as deep a colour as this:
http://tinyurl.com/5flbcm
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I found this re damsons. To me plums aren't as deep a colour as this:
| http://tinyurl.com/5flbcm

There are some. Also some damsons are yellow, and even green.
There really is no hard and fast distinction between any of the
categories of P. domestica.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-08-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 15/8/08 10:48, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:
In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| It was some time since I tried a bite, but they have the slimmer oval
| shape of damsons, and are smaller than most plums, deep purple in
| colour. I will see if I can find one, but haven't noticed them this
| year, sorry.

Some damsons are round! Except for the damson/bullace, I don't know
of any plums with deep purple fruit that is 2 cm in diameter or more.
Unless there is a form of P. cerasifera that my books don't mention.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I found this re damsons. To me plums aren't as deep a colour as this:
http://tinyurl.com/5flbcm

They are similar, but not easy to tell, I should maybe get a leaf off
the tree?
--
Gordon H
Old 15-08-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| I found this re damsons. To me plums aren't as deep a colour as this:
| http://tinyurl.com/5flbcm
|
| They are similar, but not easy to tell, I should maybe get a leaf off
| the tree?

See if the leaves and growth look plum-like. I am still puzzled
about what way it doesn't taste like a plum.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-08-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| I found this re damsons. To me plums aren't as deep a colour as this:
| http://tinyurl.com/5flbcm
|
| They are similar, but not easy to tell, I should maybe get a leaf off
| the tree?

See if the leaves and growth look plum-like. I am still puzzled
about what way it doesn't taste like a plum.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I don't like to tell you it was some years ago I ate part of one. :-(
Not a juicy as the plums that a friend grew in her garden.
--
Gordon H

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM