Old 18-08-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default planting a low formal hedge

On 18/8/08 18:30, in article , "MikeH"
wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;810306']On 16/8/08 18:15, in article
,
"MikeH"
wrote:
-

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2
metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a
pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from
old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of
planting
the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja
occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late
afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other
advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.

-
If you want resilient to vandalism, get some well-grown Rosa rugosa.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha, R. rugosa is a little too informal for the setting and as we get
a lot of pedestrian traffic could harm the innocent! Barbed wire and
electric fence is tempting but I had to rule out for obvious reasons.
Will keep your nursery details for future ref. Thanks

;-)) We don't do barbed wire or electric fencing, though. Being serious,
would it be better for your privacy to put up a fence and then either plant
a hedge inside that to disguise the fence, or could you then climb things up
it?

Old 19-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
;-)) We don't do barbed wire or electric fencing, though. Being serious,
would it be better for your privacy to put up a fence and then either plant
a hedge inside that to disguise the fence, or could you then climb things up
it?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
We are restricted by covenants to a low hedge (ie 1 metre max) and although I am prepared to go to maximum height, a fence and hedge would be pushing it. Most of my neighbours' gardens started as open plan but now most have some form of boundary including post and rail which is effective but looks out of place in a suburban environment. Anyway it has been an interesting discussion and has added to my options. I shall post some photos when it is done. Thanks Sacha
Old 19-08-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/8/08 17:45, in article , "MikeH"
wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;810814'];-)) We don't do barbed wire or electric fencing, though.
[...]

From experience, I know you can get covenants over turned but it's expensive
- or can be. I suppose if you all banded together, you might find it worth
it. Times have changed which is why covenants can be changed or cancelled!
But for a 1m hedge max, it is hard to know what to suggest that is also
vandal proof. Would a prostrate pyracantha do it, or is that going to
intrude on the footpath too much, too?

Old 20-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
On 19/8/08 17:45, in article [email]MikeH
[/i][/color]
From experience, I know you can get covenants over turned but it's expensive
I wasn't aware that covenants could be challenged (I hear the patter of solicitors' tiny feet) but thank you for the tip. Is the Pyracantha you mention the same one that can be wall trained? I am concerned that the spread would be a problem as with Photinia and Berberis darwinii. I shall investigate Pyracantha as it ticks my boxes ie evergreen, vandal-proof, blossom and berries. By the way I like the look of your nursery website, I will visit again. Thanks again Sacha
Regards
Mike
Old 20-08-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/08 16:10, in article , "MikeH"
wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;811045']On 19/8/08 17:45, in article [email]MikeH

From experience, I know you can get covenants over turned but it's
expensive

I wasn't aware that covenants could be challenged (I hear the patter of
solicitors' tiny feet) but thank you for the tip. Is the Pyracantha you
mention the same one that can be wall trained? I am concerned that the
spread would be a problem as with Photinia and Berberis darwinii. I
shall investigate Pyracantha as it ticks my boxes ie evergreen,
vandal-proof, blossom and berries. By the way I like the look of your
nursery website, I will visit again. Thanks again Sacha
Regards
Mike

[/i][/color]
We overturned one here that prevented the brewing or selling of booze on the
premises. Of course, that was imposed long before the place became a
Nursery with a tea room and immediately after it stopped being a vicarage.
I wrote to the Church Commissioners who agreed without any trouble at all
and put it in the hands of their lawyers who took 18 months to do it!! And
yes, it was very expensive but it can be done if the parties involved are
willing. If they're not and it involves a legal battle, it would be *very
much more* expensive! At least now our customers can have wine etc. with a
meal. The latter condition was imposed by the licensing authority but we'd
have restricted it to that anyway. We don't really want to find our
customers face down in the rhodies!
It's the same sort of pyracantha but going down rather than up a wall. The
other nice type of low boundary is Nandina domestica (depending on where you
live) but I don't know how it takes to being bashed about and ditto
Pittosporum tobira. It doesn't sound as if this hedge is for privacy but
more as a boundary of attractive appearance so I wonder if Rosmarinus
Marenca would do that job. It's a low growing prostrate rosemary that sort
of goes up a bit before it goes down, if you see what I mean!
Glad you like the web site and thanks for the kind comments.
You could also take a look at these people:
http://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/index.php

Old 20-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2 metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of planting the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.
Vandal proof eh, I'd plant steel reinforced concrete posts and chainlink fencing about 6 feet tall, then I'd plant a couple of Rottweilers or Bullmastiffs my side.
Electric fencing would be ok, provided it was direct off 3-phase mains, or better still, tap into one of those big pylons if you have one nearby.

Sad fact is that no matter what you choose to plant it will need the backup and support of a fence, try posts every 5 feet and pig netting, that is fairly resilient, and the hedge will soon hide it.