Old 16-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered User

Default planting a low formal hedge

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2 metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of planting the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16-08-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 16 Aug, 18:43, Sacha wrote:
On 16/8/08 18:15, in article , "MikeH"

wrote:

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2
metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a
pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from
old wood in case of vandalism. *Has anybody had experience of planting
the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja
occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late
afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other
advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.

If you want resilient to vandalism, get some well-grown Rosa rugosa.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I have to dissagree with Sacha on this.
I used to teach mobility to Visually impared people and one of the
greatest hazards were Rugosa hedged growing over pavements, they grow
so fast that you can't keep up with them, and one burst of heavy rain
and they can be 2 or 3 feet over the pavement at face hight.where the
day before there had been a clear path.
Where I used to live I had a 40 ft long Lonicera nitida hedge that was
around 6ft heigh. I started having problems with kids throwing
themselves against it, and knocking it out of shape.
I put in half a dozen fencing posts and fed 2 strands of barbed wire
into the middle of the hedge so that it was at least 12 inches into
the hedge.
within 2 days they stoped and never did it again.
I'd put an ordinary wirw fence up, 2 or 3 strands of plain wire and
plant the hedge along that.
OR
As I have here Iplanted a mixture of Loniceria and Hawthorn so the
hawthorn gives strength to the hedge and makes it almost imposible to
penetrate.,
I have that with a wire fence in it as field boundaries, and I have it
to over 8ft heigh.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 16-08-2008, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from MikeH contains these words:

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2
metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a
pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from
old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of planting
the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja
occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late
afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other
advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.

Lonicera nitida grows quickly, and if kept in check will do what you
want, but if allowed to get too large, tends to fall over.

See http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/garden.htm and you'll see L.
nitida behind the rhubarb (you'll also see the lack of L. nitida in the
last two picks innit).

You'll also see large lumps of the stuff in other pics, all of which had
been allowed to take over (and fall over), and you will also see the
smoke generated by burning the smaller bits of it. The larger stems (and
roots) are saved for the fire this winter.

The main logpile is composed of a *VAST* apple tree which blew over in a
neighbour's garden during a gale, and an even vaster cypress in the
village churchyard which succumbed to another gale a couple of years
later.

Cypress? I'll split those rounds with me 7 lb axe, no probs...

Um...

All the fibres seem to be holding hands! Big swing, axe buries its bit
to a couple of inches up its cheeks (Oo-er!), and it's the very divil to
get it out again, so it is!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 16-08-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

[...]

That sounds a good idea. You could always plant certain berberis
varieties as well as/instead of the hawthorn and have fragrant yellow
(or orange) flowers, and earlier berries which blackbirds adore, and
keep the evergreen aspect of the hedge a bit more so.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-08-2008, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

That sounds a good idea. You could always plant certain berberis
varieties as well as/instead of the hawthorn and have fragrant yellow
(or orange) flowers, and earlier berries which blackbirds adore, and
keep the evergreen aspect of the hedge a bit more so.

I have planted holly shrubs across the front of my garden, and it stops
the stray dogs and kids hopping over the low wall.
A friend told me that his berberis hedge collected cans, fast food
containers etc, which were thrust in by some revellers.

It depends on the passing traffic, but if I was starting again I'd
probably plant hawthorn.
--
Gordon H
Old 16-08-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/08 19:20, in article
, "Dave

wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right. I wasn't doing lateral thinking.

Where I used to live I had a 40 ft long Lonicera nitida hedge that was
around 6ft heigh. I started having problems with kids throwing
themselves against it, and knocking it out of shape.
I put in half a dozen fencing posts and fed 2 strands of barbed wire
into the middle of the hedge so that it was at least 12 inches into
the hedge.
within 2 days they stoped and never did it again.

I think someone could be in real trouble doing that with elf 'n safety,
Dave. I wanted to replace an ornamental railing fence in my previous house.
The fence posts had those arrow shaped finials which weren't at all sharp
but I was told, very firmly, that I couldn't use the same style in a new
fence in case someone tried to climb over it and hurt themselves. I did
suggest electric fencing but for some reason that didn't find favour,
either. Luckily, then, as now, I lived in peaceful places - knocking wood!

I'd put an ordinary wirw fence up, 2 or 3 strands of plain wire and
plant the hedge along that.
OR
As I have here Iplanted a mixture of Loniceria and Hawthorn so the
hawthorn gives strength to the hedge and makes it almost imposible to
penetrate.,
I have that with a wire fence in it as field boundaries, and I have it
to over 8ft heigh.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

For the OP it depends on time to some extent, I imagine. A fence, wire and
a hedge is expensive, too. A clip round the ear would be cheaper, of
course.....

Old 17-08-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:15:50 +0100, MikeH
wrote:

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2
metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a
pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from
old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of planting
the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja
occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late
afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other
advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.

I have no experience of hedges, but take a look he

http://tinyurl.com/5kxujc

Plenty of advice and pictures.

Steven
Old 18-08-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2683436/
"MikeH" wrote in message

I am about to plant a low, formal, evergreen hedge, approx 0.8 - 1.2
metres high and 16 metres long. It fronts a lawn and borders on a
pavement so needs to be resilent i.e. must be able to regenerate from
old wood in case of vandalism. Has anybody had experience of planting
the following: Lonicera nitida, Ilex crenata Convexa orThuja
occidentalis. Open aspect, north facing, light shade withy late
afternoon sun. I have decided against Escallonia and Box. Any other
advice or experience of others would be greatly appreciated.

--
MikeH

I know you said that Box was out of it. But I'm trying to grow a formal box
hedge between my front garden and the pavement.
The problem I'm having is dogs urinating on it and killing it back.

Heed this advice on any hedge you opt on.

Old 18-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered User

Sacha, R. rugosa is a little too informal for the setting and as we get a lot of pedestrian traffic could harm the innocent! Barbed wire and electric fence is tempting but I had to rule out for obvious reasons. Will keep your nursery details for future ref. Thanks
Old 18-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered User

[quote=
a mixture of Loniceria and Hawthorn so the
hawthorn gives strength to the hedge and makes it almost imposible to
penetrate.,
I have that with a wire fence in it as field boundaries, and I have it
to over 8ft heigh.[/QUOTE]

Dave, Thanks for the mixed hedge suggestion, it also introduces a native element, I haven't seen Hawthorn lower than 6' but will investigate as it is more friendly than barbed wire, a friend suggested steel rods pushed into the ground and hidden in the foliage, tempting but better not!
MikeH
Old 18-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url
http://tinyurl.com/5vvfv5[/url]

Regards,
Emrys Davies.
Emrys,
I had dismissed Photinia along with Hawthorn alkhough I like both they tend to be at their best at 6' or above which is in proportion to their spread. I am open to persuasion so will check them out. Thanks Mike
Old 18-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered User

[quote=
[/QUOTE]
Steve,
Thanks, I have used this nursery before and am pleased with the results.
Regards
Mike
Old 18-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered User

Rusty,
I had dismissed Berberis in its dwarf forms as it always reminded me of ground cover roses trapping crisp packets and supermarket receipts (as Gordon points out) which are impossible to remove. B darwinii is a different matter as it can be clipped more closely.
Thanks Mike