Old 17-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Registered User

Default repot tahiti lime plant :S

Hi all

I am going to repot my tahiti lime. i just got it, and it doesnt look like an overly happy tree, and upon removing it from the pot to check the roots, i see they are circling around the pot. i have enclosed a couple of pics. i intend to get this lime growing strong! i know they like to be quite constricted to bear fruit, but fruit isnt my priority for the next 12 months - making it stronger is!

only one question. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether or not to loosen some of the roots. I had thought that, since it isnt ideal time for repotting, i should disturb the root ball as little as possible. however, i saw an earthworm amidst the roots this morning, and i dont really want it lurking around in there. So what do you think, should i soak the roots for half hour, loosen the soil off and replant in really well draining soil?

thanks in advance!

danny
Attached Thumbnails
repot tahiti lime plant :S-picture-0019.jpg   repot tahiti lime plant :S-picture-0017.jpg   repot tahiti lime plant :S-picture-0013.jpg
Old 17-08-2008, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

There's noting wrong with your lime that plenty of good, all-round
sunlight won't cure. These plants need intense light and the partial
etiolation of the stems is indicative of one that has been kept as a
house plant. Ideally, it should be placed in a warm, wind-sheltered,
sunny spot out of doors as soon as warm weather arrives in late spring/
early summer and allowed to remain out until nights start to drop
below 5C - usually from September in the north to October/early
November in the far south,. It does not need potting on at the moment
and can remain undisturbed until next spring at the earliest. Yours
looks to be in a 15cm. diameter pot at the moment and it can be moved
to a 20cm. pot next year. They seem to do best if the roots are
slightly cramped.

You can buy ready-made composts suitable for Citrus, but I find they
need a small amount of additional coarse horticultural sand or grit
added to give them the porosity that this and allied Citrus prefer. I
prefer to make my own using a mixture of a good quality ericaceous
compost, good John Innes No 2 (loam based) and additional fine grit an
a ratio of 4:4:1. A couple of drenches of diluted magnesium sulphate
(two heaped tablespoons per gallon) applied at 3 week intervals from
early March will ensure deep green healthy growth followed by Chempak
No2 at the recommended dilution rate every 3 weeks during summer.