Old 04-05-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Tahiti (Persian Lime) questions.

Hi - in the UK, I have a Tahiti (Persian) Lime in a pot on the kitchen
windowsill plenty of afternoon sun - It's in citrus soil ( well
draining mix) and is watered every 1-2 days, basically when the medium
feels dry. I am feeding with citrus fertilizer twice a month. Any idea
why leaves have been dropping recently and I'm not seeing any flowers
or fruit this year? This is the second year I've had the plant, and
I've had very little fruit at all so far. What might I be doing wrong?
Any ideas? Crossposted to rec.gardens.
Thanks for any ideas,
Mike

Old 06-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks both for the suggestions. I'm fertilizing with a liquid feed,
the label on the bottle suggests twice a month in the growing season,
and once a month in the winter. I think I'll halve the amount in the
growing season and not fertilize at all in the winter, and see what
happens.
This weekend, I'll give the soil a real good soaking to try to get rid
of the built up salts. I'll report back here in a couple of weeks if
there's any change.
Loki - do you get much fruit? At the moment, I have 0 flowers.
Thanks again,
Mike

Old 07-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Jim Marrs

Your tree is probably losing leaves for lack of light. Its called the leaf
drop syndrome. Move the plant to a better lighted location and reduce the
fertilizer to once a month. Citrus is extremely sensitive to the amount of
sunlight it requires.

Have Fun
Jim

ups.com...

Old 07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
TheBadGerman

It's about 2 feet tall. I have had 1 lime from it before, but this
year, I've only seen 1 flower, which fell off. I've given it a good
soaking now, so we'll see what happens with 1/2 rations of fertilizer.
I'll let you know - thanks again for your help.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:35 PM
TheBadGerman

Thanks Jim - unfortunately there's nowhere in the house that I can move
it to. But I am going to cut the fertilizer down and see what happens.
However - your post set me thinking - there must be some way of
reproducing the chemical reaction of photosynthesis without actually
providing more light - I'm thinking of some sort of additive that could
be made available. Are there any microbiologists etc. out there that
might be able to comment on this?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Loki

il 7 May 2005 05:31:43 -0700, "TheBadGerman" wrote:

It's about 2 feet tall. I have had 1 lime from it before, but this
year, I've only seen 1 flower, which fell off. I've given it a good
soaking now, so we'll see what happens with 1/2 rations of fertilizer.
I'll let you know - thanks again for your help.

I had a look at my lime and it had a lot of yellow leaves and some
scale. it seems I haven't been looking after it properly. Altho with
winter on the way I can't do much about the colder days. They prefer
warmer weather and not below 15°C. But it has lots of limes :-)

--
Cheers,

Old 07-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Loki

il 7 May 2005 05:35:09 -0700, "TheBadGerman" wrote:

Thanks Jim - unfortunately there's nowhere in the house that I can move
it to. But I am going to cut the fertilizer down and see what happens.
However - your post set me thinking - there must be some way of
reproducing the chemical reaction of photosynthesis without actually
providing more light - I'm thinking of some sort of additive that could
be made available. Are there any microbiologists etc. out there that
might be able to comment on this?
Thanks,
Mike

Just buy some lights.

--
Cheers,

Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 PM

Get this - I gave it a good soak over the weekend, and already, new
shoots have started popping up and even a few flowers! This suggests to
me that teh position is good, as is my watering, but it was teh
fertilizing which was the problem. Question is then, how often to
fertilize with a liquid feed?
Thanks,
Mike