Old 19-08-2008, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Something different

In article ,
K writes:

| No. Small tubers rather like shrivelled hazelnuts, and leaves like
| a reed - it is a Cyperus, after all!
|
| Ah. Tiger nuts!
|
| Is that the same tiger nuts that the Spanish make a splendid drink out
| of - Horchacha das chufas?

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 19-08-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Is that the same tiger nuts that the Spanish make a splendid drink out
of - Horchacha das chufas?

Dunno - never'eardonit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 24-08-2008, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 23 Aug, 21:07, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , K
writes

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:

| I have also grown chufa, but forgot it one year and so no longer
| do. *That produced a reasonably number of tiny tubers, that tasted
| exactly like fresh coconut with the skin on. *If I were to make
| Horchata, that is what I would use.
|
| Ah, that may be what I have - small tubers not entirely unlike Chinese
| gooseberries to look at? Leaves a bit like arum lily, but thicker?

No. *Small tubers rather like shrivelled hazelnuts, and leaves like
a reed - it is a Cyperus, after all!

Ah. Tiger nuts!

Is that the same tiger nuts that the Spanish make a splendid drink out
of - Horchacha das chufas?

We used to buy tiger nuts in Chesterfield market hall in the 60's
Wonderful, very chewy and nutty but i never knew what they really were.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Interesting, don't know tiger nuts so I googled them:-

Habitat Muddy soil and shallow water, also as a weed of cultivated
ground in southern Europe[50]. (Sounds like my ground )
The tubers are extremely attractive to mice and require protection
from them in the winter.
Tiger nuts are a killer bait for carp,

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show...tiger_nuts.php

I dont know if the dried then rehydrated tiger nuts would grow?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 25-08-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

Ah. Tiger nuts!

Is that the same tiger nuts that the Spanish make a splendid drink out
of - Horchacha das chufas?

We used to buy tiger nuts in Chesterfield market hall in the 60's
Wonderful, very chewy and nutty but i never knew what they really were.

Anyway, what are pig nuts? and I don't mean the pellets fed to pigs.

A new employee some years ago, fresh down from the north, spoke of
digging up and eating "pig nuts" as a lad. None of us had a clue
what he was referring to.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 25-08-2008, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² writes
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

Ah. Tiger nuts!

Is that the same tiger nuts that the Spanish make a splendid drink out
of - Horchacha das chufas?

We used to buy tiger nuts in Chesterfield market hall in the 60's
Wonderful, very chewy and nutty but i never knew what they really were.

Anyway, what are pig nuts? and I don't mean the pellets fed to pigs.

A new employee some years ago, fresh down from the north, spoke of
digging up and eating "pig nuts" as a lad. None of us had a clue
what he was referring to.

It's a native umbellifer (parsley, carrot etc family) which grows in
slightly shaded situations, quite small (ie nowhere near as tall as
hogweed) with delicate leaves. The 'nut' is the root.

You have to be fairly sure of your identification as some of the
umbellifers are pretty nasty.

Conopodium majus

--
Kay
Old 25-08-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

I dont know if the dried then rehydrated tiger nuts would grow?

Yes. Near 100% viability.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 25-08-2008, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:

Anyway, what are pig nuts? and I don't mean the pellets fed to pigs.

A new employee some years ago, fresh down from the north, spoke of
digging up and eating "pig nuts" as a lad. None of us had a clue
what he was referring to.

It's an umbellifer: Conopodium majus. Small, and looks a bit like a
small version of chervil with smaller leaves.

Dig down, and if there's a small round or lumpy tuber, of similar size
to a tiger nut, it's the only one I know if in the group, and is
delicious - nutty, crisp and sweet.

I hfrq to - oops! - Forgot where we are - used to dig them up and eat
them too, when I were an anklebiter innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 25-08-2008, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:16:54 +0100, K wrote
and included this (or some of this):

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² writes

Anyway, what are pig nuts? and I don't mean the pellets fed to pigs.

A new employee some years ago, fresh down from the north, spoke of
digging up and eating "pig nuts" as a lad. None of us had a clue
what he was referring to.

It's a native umbellifer (parsley, carrot etc family) which grows in
slightly shaded situations, quite small (ie nowhere near as tall as
hogweed) with delicate leaves. The 'nut' is the root.

You have to be fairly sure of your identification as some of the
umbellifers are pretty nasty.

Conopodium majus

Cheers Special K

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 25-08-2008, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:27:24 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:

Anyway, what are pig nuts? and I don't mean the pellets fed to pigs.

A new employee some years ago, fresh down from the north, spoke of
digging up and eating "pig nuts" as a lad. None of us had a clue
what he was referring to.

It's an umbellifer: Conopodium majus. Small, and looks a bit like a
small version of chervil with smaller leaves.

Dig down, and if there's a small round or lumpy tuber, of similar size
to a tiger nut, it's the only one I know if in the group, and is
delicious - nutty, crisp and sweet.

I thought you'd know, O oxidised one.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 25-08-2008, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² writes:
| On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:27:24 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
| wrote and included this (or some of
| this):
| The message
| from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:
|
| Anyway, what are pig nuts? and I don't mean the pellets fed to pigs.
|
| A new employee some years ago, fresh down from the north, spoke of
| digging up and eating "pig nuts" as a lad. None of us had a clue
| what he was referring to.
|
| It's an umbellifer: Conopodium majus. Small, and looks a bit like a
| small version of chervil with smaller leaves.
|
| Dig down, and if there's a small round or lumpy tuber, of similar size
| to a tiger nut, it's the only one I know if in the group, and is
| delicious - nutty, crisp and sweet.
|
| I thought you'd know, O oxidised one.

And it's now illegal to do that! Seriously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-08-2008, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Aug 17, 11:07 pm, Sacha wrote in response to Nick

Colocasia? Or is it Alocasia? We grow them in a large greenhouse for the
decorative leaves, not the tubers. If they're what I think they are they
make poi in Hawaii which is most certainly an acquired taste.

It would be Colocasia - like the ones that you grow. Most tubers
have to be slow roasted to rid them of the oxalic acid and despite all
of that the flavour (if you could call it that) is at best 'pappy'.
The 'greens' are an acquired taste too - one that I have no wish to
acquire! They are better as ornamentals since we have far nicer
tasting veg in this country. I could still do with 'Black Magic'
BTW, although its getting a bit late in the year.

Nick, I would dispute its complete need for 'tropical' conditions
apart from it doing best in very moist situations, because during this
coolest and wettest of summers, several of mine have grown huge
outside with 4ft. leathery leaves and massive basal stems. Admittedly
I started with cannonball sized tubers, but they've been a great
success and the distortion to the pots indicates that the new tubers
now being formed will be even bigger. I've grown Colocasias
permanently outside for 10 years so they are borderline hardy as
opposed to very tender.

Talk of 'pig-nuts' takes me back to when I was a small boy. Summer
wasn't summer without rummaging for them amongst the fine grass in
nearby fields. I wonder whether they would take to cultivation,
although you only get one marble-sized tuber per plant and you'd need
quite a few per serving. We used to eat them raw and lightly roasted,
but I seem to remember that cooking took away the nutty flavour.
Old 25-08-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Poole writes:

| It would be Colocasia - like the ones that you grow. ...
|
| Nick, I would dispute its complete need for 'tropical' conditions
| apart from it doing best in very moist situations, because during this
| coolest and wettest of summers, several of mine have grown huge
| outside with 4ft. leathery leaves and massive basal stems. Admittedly
| I started with cannonball sized tubers, but they've been a great
| success and the distortion to the pots indicates that the new tubers
| now being formed will be even bigger. I've grown Colocasias
| permanently outside for 10 years so they are borderline hardy as
| opposed to very tender.

Well, I live and learn! Is that C. esculenta?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.