Old 17-08-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Something different

I don't know who is into growing something different in the veg
garden, but if you are then have a look at www.realseeds.co.uk or
their news letter at http://www.realseeds.co.uk/Newsletter08.html
I'm growing "OCA" ~(Latin name: Oxalis Tuberosa) and the plants are
growing well, I'm going to try a few other things next year.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 17-08-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill writes:

| I don't know who is into growing something different in the veg
| garden, but if you are then have a look at www.realseeds.co.uk or
| their news letter at http://www.realseeds.co.uk/Newsletter08.html
| I'm growing "OCA" ~(Latin name: Oxalis Tuberosa) and the plants are
| growing well, I'm going to try a few other things next year.

I grow it, lacksadaisically. Unless there is a long, warm, damp
autumn, it produces ridiculously small tubers. They fall apart,
rather, when cooked , but have a flavour rather like a cross
between a potato and sorrel. I have boggled guests with it!

I have also grown chufa, but forgot it one year and so no longer
do. That produced a reasonably number of tiny tubers, that tasted
exactly like fresh coconut with the skin on. If I were to make
Horchata, that is what I would use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-08-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I don't know who is into growing something different in the veg
garden, but if you are then have a look at www.realseeds.co.uk or
their news letter at http://www.realseeds.co.uk/Newsletter08.html
I'm growing "OCA" ~(Latin name: Oxalis Tuberosa) and the plants are
growing well, I'm going to try a few other things next year.

Ah "New Zealand Yams"! I've always wanted to try them but my supplier of
unusual stuff sold out of them for this coming growing season. I have
managed to get from them physalis edulis and physalis ixocarpa.

Old 17-08-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:

| I have also grown chufa, but forgot it one year and so no longer
| do. That produced a reasonably number of tiny tubers, that tasted
| exactly like fresh coconut with the skin on. If I were to make
| Horchata, that is what I would use.
|
| Ah, that may be what I have - small tubers not entirely unlike Chinese
| gooseberries to look at? Leaves a bit like arum lily, but thicker?

No. Small tubers rather like shrivelled hazelnuts, and leaves like
a reed - it is a Cyperus, after all!

I think you are thinking of taro - that needs tropical conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-08-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/8/08 22:42, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:

| I have also grown chufa, but forgot it one year and so no longer
| do. That produced a reasonably number of tiny tubers, that tasted
| exactly like fresh coconut with the skin on. If I were to make
| Horchata, that is what I would use.
|
| Ah, that may be what I have - small tubers not entirely unlike Chinese
| gooseberries to look at? Leaves a bit like arum lily, but thicker?

No. Small tubers rather like shrivelled hazelnuts, and leaves like
a reed - it is a Cyperus, after all!

I think you are thinking of taro - that needs tropical conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Colocasia? Or is it Alocasia? We grow them in a large greenhouse for the
decorative leaves, not the tubers. If they're what I think they are they
make poi in Hawaii which is most certainly an acquired taste.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the post concerning the OCA. I've been racking my brains for months about this root. It was featured on a gardening program on the BBC several months ago, and I didn't catch it's name. Most certainly will give it a try. Let's just hope that next year will be a little dryer and we will have better look with it. I hear that it is a great source of starch.

J Middleton
http://www.theallotmentgarden.co.uk
Old 18-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmI View Post
"OCA" ~(Latin name: Oxalis Tuberosa)
Ah "New Zealand Yams"!
New Zealanders once again (as with kiwi fruit) try to rename a plant from another part of the world as if it was theirs. It actually comes from Bolivia/Peru area.

I have normally found oca (no need to write it in caps) to have a texture like salad potatoes, but no doubt there are hundreds of varieties. I've eaten them in Bolivia (roasted), and found them occasionally in Waitrose (imported from, er, New Zealand). They are useful in the Andes because they can be grown at a higher altitude than potatoes. I saw them being cultivated on steep hillsides above 4200m (14,000 ft). A lot of plants like this don't grow so well in the long daylengths of higher latitude summers, which may be why they do their main tuber formation in the autumn here.
Old 18-08-2008, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Colocasia? Or is it Alocasia? We grow them in a large greenhouse for the
decorative leaves, not the tubers. If they're what I think they are they
make poi in Hawaii which is most certainly an acquired taste.

Apple poi, or snake and pigmy poi?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 18-08-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from Sacha contains these words:
|
| Colocasia? Or is it Alocasia? We grow them in a large greenhouse for the
| decorative leaves, not the tubers. If they're what I think they are they
| make poi in Hawaii which is most certainly an acquired taste.
|
| Apple poi, or snake and pigmy poi?

One of my uncle's uncles ended up that way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.