Old 20-08-2008, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg plot problem

Hi All

I have a small vegetable plot in the garden and this year it has done rather
badly. I planted carrots in there in March and just dug up most of them to
find they are more like baby veg! The beetroot isnt really filling out
either and the only thing that seems to have done ok in there is the
lettuces.

The only thing that I can think of is that the patch does not get full sun
all day long as it is surrounded by trees but it is the only place in the
garden I can have the plot. Would this have something to do with the small
carrots and beetroot? I am debating putting peas and sweetcorn in there
next year and see what happens.

Any advice or experienced words?

Thank you
Donna

Old 20-08-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna Ludlow" wrote in message
Hi All

I have a small vegetable plot in the garden and this year it has done
rather badly. I planted carrots in there in March and just dug up most of
them to find they are more like baby veg! The beetroot isnt really
filling out either and the only thing that seems to have done ok in there
is the lettuces.

The only thing that I can think of is that the patch does not get full sun
all day long as it is surrounded by trees but it is the only place in the
garden I can have the plot. Would this have something to do with the
small carrots and beetroot? I am debating putting peas and sweetcorn in
there next year and see what happens.

Any advice or experienced words?

Thank you
Donna

The fact that your lettuce has done well bears out what you say as most
vegetables need a good deal of light. Leeks can put on a decent show if it's
not too shaded and I would be tempted to try some open greens such as kale
or Wintergreen

Veg plot - invasive conifer roots. Orson Kart United Kingdom 3 03-03-2006 04:53 PM
Container Veg plot in shade fourmations United Kingdom 3 16-01-2006 11:52 PM
wood ash on veg plot middleton.walker United Kingdom 13 17-12-2005 12:59 AM
new veg plot graham United Kingdom 10 20-08-2003 01:06 AM
What to grow in crap half of veg plot Rosie United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:30 AM