Old 23-08-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lack of Butterflies?

On Aug 23, 12:00*am, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

Charlie Pridham writes

Given that a lot are migratory, would you come here at the present?? :~)

:-)
Possibly - given that a lot of S Europe is suffering a drought, chance
of foodplants for your eggs is probably better here

Cabbage whites have had all the watercress already.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I live in a city and we do not get many (compared to when I was a kid)
but we have had cabbage whites, speckled woods, holly blues, sm.
tortoiseshells all in small numbers.
I have just been fiddling with some cauliflower plants and one had two
small batches of caterpillars (the rest were clean) so just to be
perverse, I left them. I can afford to lose one plant and it will be
too cold for them to harm the overwintering plants, soon (if they grow
fast enough to pupate).