Old 20-08-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lack of Butterflies?

Any other parts of the country suffering from lack of butterflies so
far here in the west of Scotland some cabbage whites and occasional
Red Admiral but little else in spite of lots of Buddleia around
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply
Old 20-08-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Elizabeth writes
Any other parts of the country suffering from lack of butterflies so
far here in the west of Scotland some cabbage whites and occasional
Red Admiral but little else in spite of lots of Buddleia around
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

Very few W Yorks, but nothing more than the continuing decline that has
been going on for many years.
--
Kay
Old 20-08-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 20/08/08 12:44, Elizabeth wrote:
Any other parts of the country suffering from lack of butterflies so
far here in the west of Scotland some cabbage whites and occasional
Red Admiral but little else in spite of lots of Buddleia around
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

Herts, UK

There no lack of cabbage whites here!! Yikes, I've had to net all the
brassicas to keep them at bay!!

Ed

Old 20-08-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Elizabeth contains these words:

Any other parts of the country suffering from lack of butterflies so
far here in the west of Scotland some cabbage whites and occasional
Red Admiral but little else in spite of lots of Buddleia around

Seen everything except a peacock this year - red admirals, painted
ladies, various fritillaries, holly blue, orange tip, a selection of
browns (not Gordon), tortoiseshells, baggage whites, etc.

And I savaged the buddleia to make way for the workshop - though it will
grow back behind it and tower over the top by next year.

Still, plenty of other (mainly wild) flowers round about.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-08-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Any other parts of the country suffering from lack of butterflies so
far here in the west of Scotland some cabbage whites and occasional
Red Admiral but little else in spite of lots of Buddleia around
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

I've seen very few butterflies this year in Leics until my buddleias came
into flower. Now, on sunny days, I get Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Red
Admirals and Commas- which is what I would expect from having an extensive
nettle patch ;-)
Both Large and Small Whites drop in too and the occasional Green veined
White.
I also get Speckled Woods regularly but they don't seem to visit the
buddleias.

Old 20-08-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We've seen very few butterflies here on the Black Isle. The flowering
of our buddleia seems to come earlier (and the butterflies later) each
year, as the two get further out of synch. We had one sunny afternoon
this week when I saw several Red Admirals on our fading white
buddleia, and a single Peacock yesterday. The cabbage whites have been
around most of the summer. It's very disheartening when we've tried to
encourage bees and butterflies, especially with our herb garden and
wild garden.

Kristina
www.spanglefish.com/oldorchard

Old 21-08-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Fluffball contains these words:

The cabbage whites have left load nasty green and black catterpillers
all over my broccoli. Do you want them?

No thank you, but one of my neighbours would love them. He has hundreds
(if not thousands) of amphibians.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-08-2008, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Elizabeth
writes
Any other parts of the country suffering from lack of butterflies so
far here in the west of Scotland some cabbage whites and occasional
Red Admiral but little else in spite of lots of Buddleia around
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Marked lack of both numbers and differing species this year in S Devon.

A couple of overwintered Peacocks in the early spring, A few Common
Blues a bit later and recently some Gatekeepers, a solitary Small
Tortoiseshell and fairly frequent Large/Cabbage Whites.

It is the same story with the moth population - very few and the only
interesting one so far has been a couple of sightings of Oak Eggers.
Not a single sighting of a Hummingbird Hawk-moth for the first time in
12 years.

The answer has to be the weather as far as this area is concerned.
Looking at the state of our garden wildflower areas which are in an
abysmal state due to high winds and heavy rain I imagine that the local
wild and farmed habitats are also suffering.

--
Robert

Old 21-08-2008, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

robert writes
In message , Elizabeth
writes
[...]

I have basically variety but not numbers.

Large white, small white, peacock, meadow brown, speckled wood, small
copper, and today a beautiful comma. Perhaps one or two in the garden at
a time. Certainly not the down at a time that I remember from my
childhood.

But remarkable absence of small tortoiseshells
--
Kay
Old 22-08-2008, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
In message , Elizabeth
writes
[...]

Given that a lot are migratory, would you come here at the present?? :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 22-08-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

Given that a lot are migratory, would you come here at the present?? :~)

:-)

Possibly - given that a lot of S Europe is suffering a drought, chance
of foodplants for your eggs is probably better here
--
Kay
Old 23-08-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Charlie Pridham writes

Given that a lot are migratory, would you come here at the present?? :~)

:-)

Possibly - given that a lot of S Europe is suffering a drought, chance
of foodplants for your eggs is probably better here

Cabbage whites have had all the watercress already.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Registered User

We have small tortoiseshell, cabbage white and peacock. Very little else and noticibly less than previous years.
Currently sharing garden with - Moles, voles, rabbits, pheasants, sheep, cat, dogs, hare, buzzards, crows, slugs, frogs . . . . .