Old 30-08-2008, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dead Buddleia

On Aug 30, 10:37*am, Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/08 15:35, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Aug 29, 3:33*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/08 12:08, in article
, "Judithin
France" wrote:

snip

I have 3 Buddleia, one with tiny pom pom yellow flowers, I can't
remember the name it is very pretty.

Possibly B. globosa?

I also have a white one,(and the
usual vulgar purple one). * I love it although I hack it back,
severely every year.

Judith

I like Buddleias but am particularly fond of Buddleia Dartmoor and a
Buddleia with arching branches and very fine foliage. *I can't remember the
name but it might be B. alternifolia.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Pic???

Judith

This isn't ours but it is from a French site!

http://tinyurl.com/5jm3gd
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Lovely, I would never have recognised it as a Buddleia.

Judith
Old 30-08-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:13:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in article ):

In article et,
lid says...

snip.

Since we are talking about Buddleias, is there anywhere a list with pics of
varieties? We have been given several which we can't identify (sorry Val,
but I love them!).

try
www.bredbypetermoore.co.uk he works at Longstock where they have the
largest collection in the country

Thank you so much Charlie. That's an excellent link, now bookmarked - and a
possible on my list of must-visit-one-day.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 30-08-2008, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:42:11 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

:-(

Reported a sick Buddleia a while back.
Chopped it down yesterday.
Rotting up from the roots as was suggested.
That was a quick death. Fit (seemingly) to dead in a month.

Mike

Sorry to hear about that Mike but I hate Buddleia with almost as much
passion as Elderflower. I had our two cut right down yesterday and
pleased to be rid of them!

They will still come back ;-) I love them because they attract butterflies.
How nice it was to sit outside today with a cup of tea and see peacocks, red
admirals and small tortoiseshells flocking to drink the nectar, as well as
large and small whites. Although the whites are not quite as welcome
because their caterpillars feed on brassicas, the others have nettles as the
food plant for their caterpillars. Everyone should have a buddleia if not
many of them if room allows (IMHO of course!)

Old 31-08-2008, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et,
lid says...
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:13:34 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in article ):

In article et,
lid says...

snip.

Since we are talking about Buddleias, is there anywhere a list with pics of
varieties? We have been given several which we can't identify (sorry Val,
but I love them!).

try
www.bredbypetermoore.co.uk he works at Longstock where they have the
largest collection in the country

Thank you so much Charlie. That's an excellent link, now bookmarked - and a
possible on my list of must-visit-one-day.

Its a lovely place but the water garden bit is seldom open, I do two
plant sales a year there and always have a good time.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 31-08-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
AriesVal wrote:
[...]

Considering ours seem to have died of root rot, we are wondering 'if' they
will throw up new shoots

('root rot', try saying that in a hurry, especially when you have had a few)

Old 31-08-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| Considering ours seem to have died of root rot, we are wondering 'if' they
| will throw up new shoots

No, they won't. Buddleias propagate naturally entirely by seed, and
not by suckering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-08-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| Considering ours seem to have died of root rot, we are wondering 'if'
they
| will throw up new shoots

No, they won't. Buddleias propagate naturally entirely by seed, and
not by suckering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick

Old 31-08-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| Considering ours seem to have died of root rot, we are wondering 'if' they
| will throw up new shoots

No, they won't. Buddleias propagate naturally entirely by seed, and
not by suckering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Except B. lindleyana :~)
Old 31-08-2008, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 1:37*pm, K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writes

I didn't know you could kill those things. *You have my condolences.
I chopped the lard out of mine last spring, down to about a foot,
because it was getting a bit out of hand.
It is now around 6ft tall with lovely deep purple flowers. *I love it.
I saw a yellow one the other day. *It is just wrong. *Those plants
were *never* meant to be yellow. *Never mind have ball-shaped flower
clusters!

Buddleja globosa has bright orange ball shaped flowers. It's a genuine
species, not a hybrid.
--
Kay

I'm not claiming anything - merely expressing my view in a probably
silly way. I like purple buddleia, I find the yellow pointy or globe
ones much less attractive. That's all I'm saying :-)

Cat(h)

Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news

AriesVal wrote:
[...]

Sorry Mike, I was responding to Val saying she'd cut hers right down. You
can hack and slash them all you like (a bit like my Vinca) and they'll be
right back ;-)
I think yours will be a gonner.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

news

AriesVal wrote:
[...]

My Grandson wants to go into the Royal Marine's Band and plays Bugle for the
local Royal Marine Cadets. I will get him over to play The Last Post to the
remaining stump ;-) Be good practice for him as he has been appointed to do
it this year at the Remembrance Service in November :-)

Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 1:56*am, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:42*am, "'Mike'" wrote:

Reported a sick Buddleia a while back.
Chopped it down yesterday.
Rotting up from the roots as was suggested.
That was a quick death. Fit (seemingly) to dead in a month.

I didn't know you could kill those things. *You have my condolences.
I chopped the lard out of mine last spring, down to about a foot,
because it was getting a bit out of hand.
It is now around 6ft tall with lovely deep purple flowers. *I love it..
I saw a yellow one the other day. *It is just wrong. *Those plants
were *never* meant to be yellow. *Never mind have ball-shaped
flower clusters!

Globosa? *I love mine - such a pleasant change from the
common purple.

:-) Just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

Cat(h) (who really did not like the yellow ones, globosa or pointy)

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:
| On Sep 1, 1:56=A0am, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
|
| Globosa? =A0I love mine - such a pleasant change from the
| common purple.
|
| :-) Just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

So, have you been reading John Cleland, too? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.