Old 22-08-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buddleia - dead head

I know that dead heading certain plants will help promote new flowers - is
that true of Buddleias?

Old 23-08-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gavin wrote:
I know that dead heading certain plants will help promote new flowers - is
that true of Buddleias?

Yes, some people do say if you cut the old flowers in late summer it
encourages the smaller ones to come through. I however think that it is
more to do with a 'tidy appearance' to dead head buddleias rather than
promoting growth. We are often told to also cut branches off to yet
again 'tidy' and protect from wind damage. At the same time if you cut
too severely before winter, frost can get at your plant.

I like the various sizes we get on our 3 plants, with the most heady of
honey smell, and I only remove the long lanky stems to protect one of
my 3 plants from being attacked by grumpy passers by on the pavement. I
like the spikes in the winter (and the privacy it gives me) and the
birds feed on the seeds too. I then cut them severely in early March
and then let them do their stuff naturally )

Old 23-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
I know that dead heading certain plants will help promote new flowers - is
that true of Buddleias?
I recommend dead-heading your buddleia to reduce your future weeding labour.
Old 24-08-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:
gavin Wrote:
I know that dead heading certain plants will help promote new flowers -
is
that true of Buddleias?

I recommend dead-heading your buddleia to reduce your future weeding
labour.

Huh?! What do you mean?

Old 24-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

echinosum wrote:
gavin Wrote:
I know that dead heading certain plants will help promote new flowers -
is
that true of Buddleias?

I recommend dead-heading your buddleia to reduce your future weeding
labour.

Huh?! What do you mean?

Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
--
Brian

Old 24-08-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Brian Watson" wrote

Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
Brian

..........plethora.........

Made my day - wonderful word :~))
Jenny

Old 25-08-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote

Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
Brian

.........plethora.........

Made my day - wonderful word :~))

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.

:-)

--
Brian

Old 25-08-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Brian Watson wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
Brian

.........plethora.........
Made my day - wonderful word :~))

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.
:-)

)))

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

Old 25-08-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Brian Watson
writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote

Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
Brian

.........plethora.........

Made my day - wonderful word :~))

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.

:-)

Oi, Watchit I use my embouchure for playing my flute. Some people
say it makes you look like a camel. (Must have a look in the mirror).
Nice word though.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-08-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, La
Puce writes

Brian Watson wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
Brian
.........plethora.........
Made my day - wonderful word :~))

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.
:-)

)))

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

Our next-door neighbours have had one for 20 years and it hangs over the
fence into our garden. I have never noticed any baby buddleias growing,
either in their garden or ours. My only problem with it is that they
have recently taken a dislike to it and keep cutting it back with a
vengeance. However, being sturdy, it just grows up again. I hope they
don't decide to uproot it, as we have a lovely butterfly show every
summer.
--
June Hughes

Old 25-08-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
Our next-door neighbours have had one for 20 years and it hangs over the
fence into our garden. I have never noticed any baby buddleias growing,
either in their garden or ours. My only problem with it is that they
have recently taken a dislike to it and keep cutting it back with a
vengeance. However, being sturdy, it just grows up again. I hope they
don't decide to uproot it, as we have a lovely butterfly show every
summer.

See! What did I say. Crotte de taureau!! ))

I just love my three plants - my favourite is the white one because it
glows at night. Something I've noticed however is that it's covered,
and always has been, with the little striped yellow snails. Interesting
isn't it?! The other two, a deep pink and a purple (this one smells
knocks you out), hang out onto the pavement. I have a loon on the loose
who every year tries to cut the branches that hang. He/she must just
try to pull on the branches - the damaged sometimes is terrible. Some
people ...

Old 26-08-2006, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote

Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings if
they are not removed.
Brian

.........plethora.........

Made my day - wonderful word :~))

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.
:-)
Brian

I would but it's not Bank Holiday where I live - I'll be slaving away behind
a hot desk on Monday :~(
Jenny

Old 26-08-2006, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Watson wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
Heads (and the seeds they carry) will produce a plethora of seedlings
if
they are not removed.
Brian
.........plethora.........
Made my day - wonderful word :~))

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.
:-)

)))

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

I hate people who do this, but - me neither !
Jenny

Old 26-08-2006, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

June Hughes wrote:
we have a lovely butterfly show every summer.

See! What did I say. Crotte de taureau!! ))

I just love my three plants - my favourite is the white one because it
glows at night. Something I've noticed however is that it's covered,
and always has been, with the little striped yellow snails. Interesting
isn't it?! The other two, a deep pink and a purple (this one smells
knocks you out), hang out onto the pavement. I have a loon on the loose
who every year tries to cut the branches that hang. He/she must just
try to pull on the branches - the damaged sometimes is terrible. Some
people ...

I was reminded of Buddleia alternifolia last night in GW.
Must get one :~)
Jenny

Old 26-08-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.

:-)

Oi, Watchit I use my embouchure for playing my flute. Some people say
it makes you look like a camel. (Must have a look in the mirror).

You might also like to make the comparison with an embouchure and the south
end of a north-bound camel, as I think that is what it is they are referring
to.

:-\

--
Brian

Buddleia dead? Frank Booth United Kingdom 5 17-03-2014 10:44 AM
Dead Buddleia 'Mike' United Kingdom 53 08-09-2008 03:48 PM
Replacement Weed-Wacker Head: "Grass Gator Load n' Cut" fixed 4 line head - Any Good ? Robert11 Lawns 1 05-07-2005 10:35 AM
Should I dead-head Pieris? Cuvapu United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 11:05 AM
when to dead head petunias? R P McMurphy United Kingdom 1 22-08-2003 07:12 PM