Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dead Buddleia

On Sep 1, 10:00*am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Cat(h)" writes:

| On Sep 1, 1:56=A0am, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
|
| Globosa? =A0I love mine - such a pleasant change from the
| common purple.
|
| :-) Just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

So, have you been reading John Cleland, too? :-)

Erm... I'm not sure we're talking about the same strokes :-)

Cat(h)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 1:41*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 05:34:28 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 31, 11:36*pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Aug 29, 1:37*pm, K wrote:

"Cat(h)" writes

I didn't know you could kill those things. *You have my condolences.
I chopped the lard out of mine last spring, down to about a foot,
because it was getting a bit out of hand.
It is now around 6ft tall with lovely deep purple flowers. *I love it.
I saw a yellow one the other day. *It is just wrong. *Those plants
were *never* meant to be yellow. *Never mind have ball-shaped flower
clusters!

Buddleja globosa has bright orange ball shaped flowers. It's a genuine
species, not a hybrid.
--
Kay

I'm not claiming anything - merely expressing my view in a probably
silly way. *I like purple buddleia, I find the yellow pointy or globe
ones much less attractive. *That's all I'm saying :-)

Cat(h)

I like them all Cat, but my favourite is the white one. *I also love
the purple one which I feed and I have huge lilac type flowers.

No wonder they call you Blossom in the village
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

LOL, you remember then?

Judith
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 5:05*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 31, 11:36*pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Aug 29, 1:37*pm, K wrote:

[...]

It's going to be rough in autumn LOL
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Is it????

Judith
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes
On Sep 1, 1:56*am, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:42*am, "'Mike'" wrote:

Reported a sick Buddleia a while back.
Chopped it down yesterday.
Rotting up from the roots as was suggested.
That was a quick death. Fit (seemingly) to dead in a month.

I didn't know you could kill those things. *You have my condolences.
I chopped the lard out of mine last spring, down to about a foot,
because it was getting a bit out of hand.
It is now around 6ft tall with lovely deep purple flowers. *I love it.
I saw a yellow one the other day. *It is just wrong. *Those plants
were *never* meant to be yellow. *Never mind have ball-shaped
flower clusters!

Globosa? *I love mine - such a pleasant change from the
common purple.

:-) Just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

Cat(h) (who really did not like the yellow ones, globosa or pointy)

I really don't like globosa - seems such a harsh orange. Though I
suppose to be expected, given that the same orange appears at the centre
of the flower.

I quite like the hybrid that has apricot coloured balls. But it doesn't
seem to have many flowers compared with the size of bush - or that might
just be because I haven't anywhere sunny to grow it.

--
Kay
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:14:09 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Sep 1, 5:05*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

snip

I like them all Cat, but my favourite is the white one. *I also love
the purple one which I feed and I have huge lilac type flowers.

No wonder they call you Blossom in the village
LOL, you remember then?

It's going to be rough in autumn LOL
--

Martin-

Is it????

Judith

Perhaps naughty Martin thinks your petals will fall off in the autumn :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 5:05*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

snip

I like them all Cat, but my favourite is the white one. *I also love
the purple one which I feed and I have huge lilac type flowers.

No wonder they call you Blossom in the village
LOL, you remember then?

It's going to be rough in autumn LOL
--

Martin-

Is it????

Judith

Perhaps naughty Martin thinks your petals will fall off in the autumn :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

He certainly is naughty Sally, I don't know what's got into him
recently :-))

Judith
Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 5:05*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

snip

I like them all Cat, but my favourite is the white one. *I also love
the purple one which I feed and I have huge lilac type flowers.

No wonder they call you Blossom in the village
LOL, you remember then?

It's going to be rough in autumn LOL
--

Martin-

Is it????

Judith

Perhaps naughty Martin thinks your petals will fall off in the autumn :-)

before she is nipped in the bud )
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Promises, promises :-)

Judith
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 5:44*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:14:09 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
I have huge lilac type flowers.

No wonder they call you Blossom in the village
LOL, you remember then?

It's going to be rough in autumn LOL

Is it????

When your petals blow away in an autumn gale?
--

Martin

You sense of humour and mine leave a bit to be desired, can you
explain in brackets next time please, you know I can be a bit slow on
the uptake!

Judith
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 1, 10:11*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:09:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

On Sep 1, 5:05*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

snip

I like them all Cat, but my favourite is the white one. *I also love
the purple one which I feed and I have huge lilac type flowers.

No wonder they call you Blossom in the village
LOL, you remember then?

It's going to be rough in autumn LOL
--

Martin-

Is it????

Judith

Perhaps naughty Martin thinks your petals will fall off in the autumn :-)

before she is nipped in the bud )

Promises, promises :-)

I meant dead heading.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Of course, what else? :-)

Judith
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Judith in France writes

Lovely, I would never have recognised it as a Buddleia.

Judith

'Ere I said all this last year. They are wonderful grown as small trees,
not so dense that you can't see through them, not so light and air they
don't make a statement.
They have the most brilliant scent of honey when in flower and all you
do is cut off the flowering spikes once the flowers have gone brown.
They take very very easily from cuttings and i wish more people would
grow it. Much better than some of the others.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes

They have the most brilliant scent of honey when in flower

If it's honey scent you're after, try Euphorbia mellifera :-)

Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Janet Tweedy writes

They have the most brilliant scent of honey when in flower

If it's honey scent you're after, try Euphorbia mellifera :-)

I won't touch Euphorbia (even metaphorically!) too poisonous etc.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , K
writes
Janet Tweedy writes

They have the most brilliant scent of honey when in flower

If it's honey scent you're after, try Euphorbia mellifera :-)

I won't touch Euphorbia (even metaphorically!) too poisonous etc.

I've never had any problem with it (I've got at least 10 species).
Probably not sensible to let the sap of the larger species drip over
your skin, but since they need very little maintenance it's not a
problem.

The only thing I've had any problem with is loganberries and the other
blackberry hybrids - get an urticaria type reaction to those. I've had
to replace them by thornless varieties.
--
Kay