Old 30-08-2008, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Just a tiny bit of boasting......

June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I know"
and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-08-2008, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:http://www.guardian.co..uk/lifeandst...aurants.foodan...

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Wow, more fame Sacha, first the telly, then Highgrove, what next,
arise Sir Raymond Hubbard, Nurseryman Extraordinaire? Very well done
to you both.

Judith

Old 30-08-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I know"
and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

Garden Centre...bl..dy insult!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-08-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I know"
and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Oh well done, Sacha! I'm really pleased for you. Obviously, next time we
visit we'll have to stay long enough to enjoy a cake .. or two... spiders
have two stomachs, did you know that?! Any excuse to feast on some scoff!
:~)

Spider

Old 30-08-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I
know" and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

Garden Centre...bl..dy insult!

Quirky??
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 31-08-2008, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/08 18:10, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I know"
and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

Garden Centre...bl..dy insult!

It's one of those terms that has entered into the English language and is
now considered to be the norm. Shame, I agree.

Old 31-08-2008, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/08 19:49, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I know"
and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Oh well done, Sacha! I'm really pleased for you. Obviously, next time we
visit we'll have to stay long enough to enjoy a cake .. or two... spiders
have two stomachs, did you know that?! Any excuse to feast on some scoff!
:~)

Spider

No, I didn't know spiders have two stomach but perhaps your first stomach
can deal with broccoli and Stilton soup and your second with a cream tea!
when I was at school I remember being told that spiders have lungs that are
formed rather like the leaves of books. So - they take in enough oxygen
for the quick dash and then run out and have to wait to recoup!

Old 31-08-2008, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/08 23:14, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I
know" and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

Garden Centre...bl..dy insult!

Quirky??

As in not a garden centre. ;-)

Old 31-08-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/8/08 09:02, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 00:23:49 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 30/8/08 23:14, in article
, "Pete C"
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I
know" and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ts.foodanddrin
k1

Garden Centre...bl..dy insult!

Quirky??

As in not a garden centre. ;-)

Quirky Sacha? LOL

Certainly not, she says, adjusting her navy skirt, pussy bow blouse and
string of pearls!

Old 31-08-2008, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Mind boggling )

You forgot your non matching wellies.

Fishnet wellies.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-08-2008, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds good to me ... Yum yum!

when I was at school I remember being told that spiders have lungs that
are
formed rather like the leaves of books. So - they take in enough oxygen
for the quick dash and then run out and have to wait to recoup!

Quite right! Well remembered. Actually, it's a bit more complicated than
that because there are mygalomorph spiders (the more primitive, chunky
tarantula types) which have the book lungs you describe; then there are the
araneomorph spiders (more evolved, less chunky types inc. most British
spiders) which have book lungs *plus* a tracheal spiracle (breathing tube),
which allows them more efficient breathing and sprinting ability. However,
even these eventually run out of breath. The real limiter, though, is their
blood pressure/body fluid pressure. In effect, spiders are powered by
hydraulics. I'm sure you've seen a dead spider with its legs drawn up
underneath its body; this is because the hydraulics have failed. The 33
muscles in a spiders leg only *retract* the legs, body fluids *extend* the
legs. Therefore, when the hydraulics fail, the muscles automatically draw
the legs back under the spider.

Oh now look .. you've got me rambling on about spiders! I'd better do a
hundred lines of "This is a gardening newsgroup"!! Then I'll scuttle off
into the garden.

Spider

Old 31-08-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Oh now look .. you've got me rambling on about spiders! I'd better do a
hundred lines of "This is a gardening newsgroup"!! Then I'll scuttle off
into the garden.

Well, we can't say you haven't got a leg to stand on innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

OT Boasting sacha United Kingdom 12 20-09-2013 06:44 PM
Cold? or just a bit chilly? Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 23 06-06-2012 12:52 PM
Is it just my bad gardening (planting my tomatoes out too late) orhas the weather just been awful for growing peppers and tomates furlow United Kingdom 16 02-09-2010 07:23 PM
Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 04:39 AM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM