Old 30-08-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wintering fuschias

Can someone remind me please? I have a dozen fuchsias grown this year from
almost nothing at all, but now very healthy plants with an abundance of
flowers. I have had a wide selection of advice from - Water/don't water.
Prune/don't prune. Keep outside/store under glass. My last over-wintering
method was not too successful. I pruned hard in October, wintered under
glass and gave no water. I ignored feeding. Result - a few weary shoots in
the following spring.
What is suggested for this year.

Old 30-08-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Can someone remind me please? I have a dozen fuchsias grown this year from
almost nothing at all, but now very healthy plants with an abundance of
flowers. I have had a wide selection of advice from - Water/don't water.
Prune/don't prune. Keep outside/store under glass. My last over-wintering
method was not too successful. I pruned hard in October, wintered under
glass and gave no water. I ignored feeding. Result - a few weary shoots in
the following spring.
What is suggested for this year.

If staying in the ground, don't prune / cut back until next spring, mulch
before first frost or cover the root stocks more deeply, idea is to keep
the frost off the root system. feed once shoot growth is strongly away
but do not be in too much of a rush. Not all Fuchsia are as hardy as each
other and some like Thalia are very difficult to over winter in the
ground while others that you would expect to be very tender like F
boliviana come up fine in spring.

If bringing in lift in Autumn cut hard back and pot up stumps (roots
can be trimed to fit and put under a bench in the greenhouse or similar
keep just moist, harden off with care in spring and eventual plant out
once you feel spring really has arrived!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 30-08-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:45:34 +0100, "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:

Can someone remind me please? I have a dozen fuchsias grown this year from
almost nothing at all,

Tender or Hardy?

If its the tender showy basket ones they need a different method
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
What Lincolnshire is planning for the 2012 Games!

Sporting-lincs.com
Search 1800+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs.

Now post your own Sport information!
Old 31-08-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think they are hardy, but I should have mentioned that they are in pots,
and will be wintered in the greenhouse. Does that make any difference to the
welcome advice?

Old 31-08-2008, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:28:02 +0100, "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:

I think they are hardy, but I should have mentioned that they are in pots,
and will be wintered in the greenhouse.

Well that makes things easier, they will survive with just a touch of neglect,
just don't over water and you will be ok

If they were the tender ones, I would suggest storing in a bag / box of compost
in a shed

Transplanting Fuschias? Pete Gardening 3 06-10-2005 04:00 PM
Fuschias, upright variety ? [email protected] Gardening 1 21-05-2005 12:49 AM
fuschias gh United Kingdom 2 18-08-2003 01:22 PM
Hardy Fuschias in pots Serena Blanchflower United Kingdom 5 14-07-2003 10:47 AM
my fuschias have come back from the dead :) nicky United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 09:20 AM