Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default what is this flower?

echinosum writes

Dawn Fixter;814377 Wrote:
[image:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...007/misc001.jp
g]

Please can anyone help me to identify this flower? I was given it
about
5 years ago and so I presume it is a perennial. When I went to

Beamish
Museum about a month ago I saw the same flower but it was a lovely

sky
blue colour. I would like to buy a plant or some seeds but I don't

know
the name of it. I would be so grateful if anyone could identify it

for
me.

Sweet William. Comes in reds, pinks and blues. Easily grown from seed
but is biennial so flowers the second year.

Be careful when you purchase your seed! Sweet William usually refers to
Dianthus barbatus, with flat heads of flowers (rather than spikes), and
comes in white, pink and purple, often with elaborate markings on each
flower.

Echinosum I think is referring to Phlox, a completely different flower,
which also seems to be called Sweet William (perhaps more in the US),
although I'd not heard this usage before.

--
Kay
Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

It looks very much like Phlox paniculata 'Bright Eyes' to me, although
there are quite a few reasonably similar hybrids so being absolutely
certain from a pic. is a bit problematic. Anyway, yes it is a
perennial border plant that appreciates a sunny spot in a well
drained, fairly rich, moist soil. Remove faded flower heads to
prolong flowering and the clumps are best divided every 3 - 4 years to
maintain vigour.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered User

Question what is this flower?

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...07/misc001.jpg

Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Fixter View Post

Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Sweet William. Comes in reds, pinks and blues. Easily grown from seed but is biennial so flowers the second year.
Thank you so much I feel quite ashamed that I didn't know what it was!! Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Fixter View Post
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...07/misc001.jpg

Please can anyone help me to identify this flower? I was given it about 5 years ago and so I presume it is a perennial. When I went to Beamish Museum about a month ago I saw the same flower but it was a lovely sky blue colour. I would like to buy a plant or some seeds but I don't know the name of it. I would be so grateful if anyone could identify it for me.
It is a Phlox, and probably paniculatum